PDA

View Full Version : Aquapel Application and Shelf Life?

LOTA OT
06-18-2004, 08:17 AM
I`ve been pretty happy using rain-x over the years, but I started looking into aquapel recently. I`ve done a little research in the archives, but couldn`t find anyone touching on the actual application and shelf life of Aquapel.

I`ve found a local source that wants to clear out his inventory of aquapel and I can pick up a case of the stuff really cheap. The only two issues I have are: 1. the cases are sealed and I can`t look at the individual bottles and 2. the manufacture date was 01/2002.

Do you think there will be any issues with product that is over 2 years old? Anything I should look out for?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

BoxsterCharlie
06-18-2004, 08:27 AM
The applicators contain breakable glass vials. So I think they should last a very long time. I just don`t have any experience to back this up.

Bill D
06-18-2004, 08:48 AM
Be careful of any vials that might be broken. I recall asking a similar question and found shelf life is quite long, you should be ok

Matt M, PA
06-18-2004, 02:32 PM
Aquapel is in a "butterfly" like applicator with a flat felt side. You must break an inside vial (as said above) to release the product.It would be tough to just break that interior vial.

I bought 24 from that ebay auction, and would expect that they will be okay for a long time.

Fred Flinstone
06-20-2004, 05:24 PM
Per PPG, the makers of Aquapel it has a 2 years shelf life. I have checked with 2 separate suppliers and they both say the same thing. Sometimes the deal maybe to good to be true.

Bill D
06-28-2004, 08:51 AM
Here`s what Aquapel told me:

indications are indefinite shelf life. General guidelines are at least

4 years from date stamp on top cover of case.

PPG Hydrophobic Products

Aquapel Glass Treatment

PPG Industries, Inc.

Pittsburgh PA

1-800-861-4999

aquapel@ppg.com

www.aquapel.com

shaf
06-29-2004, 01:11 AM
<<---- Goes and shakes hoarded VisionBlade applicators...

Yep, they still seem fine. :D I think the greatest thing I`d be worried about is solvent evaporation and breakage. I really need to re-apply Aquapel to my windows for this year, but last year I used one that was already quite old, and it worked just fine. (And by "old" I mean the large applictators, not the small "butterfly" One Shot ones...

Hopefully the case was well cared for and not stored in a very hot location.