PDA

View Full Version : just used my new pc, awesome but some questions

whosyourbaba
06-17-2004, 09:32 PM
Hey guys

I`m fairly new to this forum, been searching and reading for a couple of weeks and was interested in the pc. So after convincing stories and pictures i bought one and a bunch of pads from CMA.

So today, i used the pc to try to remove minor swirls from dealer/me/ and from previous detailing jobs in which i had no idea what i was doing. I learned my lesson. I was afraid to use the yellow pad or wool pad, so i went with the white polishing pad with some #9. Also, i have some scratches in the clearcoat from who knows. Their not deep at all, just in the clearcoat. I was hoping that the #9 would take it out, but it only made the swirls less noticable. I used no pressure really since this was my first time and didnt want to make a mistake. And i topped it off wit some NXt, looks better than before, but doesnt make me extremely happy. On the side note, PC makes things easier and my hands arent cramping anymore :)

So my questions are: should i definately use the yellow to cut down the clear coat? how much pressure to use? Use a stronger compound like medalion or what is a good product for swirls and scratches? What speeds are good, i`ve used 4? How long should i work in a spot until its removed? I read a forum to move it faster, is that right?

ANy suggestions or other advice in how to get rid of the minor scratches and swirls. Im positive their not deep since a bodyshop took some out for me in a couple of minutes. But i dont wanna pay them when i can learn myself. THanks in advance for ur advice.

LOTA OT
06-17-2004, 10:17 PM
I personally find #9 pretty useless at removing swirls (despite its swirl mark remover moniker). It`s great at getting out slight/fine hazing left from other more aggressive polishes though.

It can tough at first to get the hang of how to use the PC, it can be intimidating. As long as you keep everything under control, with smooth, solid movements, it`s tough to do any real damage with a PC. Pretty fool proof in fact. Starting off with the least aggressive method was a good idea, but i I would try at least a cutting pad and perhaps move to a more aggressive polish than #9. You may also need to go over an area with multiple passes to get to the level you desire.

In general, I put a thin bead of product around the perimeter of ther pad and spread it on a 3`x3` area of the panel before turning the PC on. I start at 4 and with moderate downward pressure (maybe 3-5 lbs) I do 4 passes over the area (2 sets horizontall, 2 sets vertically) moving at about 1ft every 3secs. I then crank the PC up to 5 and with less pressure and moving a little faster, do another 4 sets. That`s usually about 3-4 minutes per area and then I buff and inspect. Some polishes may take longer to break down though.

Take your time and try to get just one panel the way you like. This will give you a reference as to whether you need a more aggressive approach.

Michael

usdm
06-17-2004, 10:20 PM
Hi there!

I dont have the same products but I`d like to give my

imput.

Try going with #9 and the yellow pad. If that doesn`t

work, then try going with a more agressive liquid

and the yellow pad.

When I am using the pc, I start off at about 2-3.5 to

slowly apply the product over the area without sling

too much. I use about 5-10 lbs pressure on the

pc. Then I ramp up to about 5-5.5 and work

the product. I usually just use the weight of the

pc do the work at the higher speed. Move the pc

back and fourth, up and down in a slow, smooth fashion.

Do small sections at a time.

Another thing i thik helps is to take your time. The risk

is low that you will damage your paint, but trying to rush

will only give you poor results or more work to correct.

Good luck, and welcome:xyxthumbs

tguil
06-17-2004, 10:33 PM
I`d just go with either the cutting pad or polishing pad and #83 DACP, followed by #82 Swirl Free Polish applied with a polishing pad. Top it with NXT. You`ll have to try darned hard to mess up.

Check out this article. It tells you just about all you need to know for a good start with a pc.

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=47

Tom:cool:

whosyourbaba
06-18-2004, 04:14 PM
thanks guys, i read whatever i could to learn. But its different doing it, in which i was puzzled.

I`ll try using the yellow pad, do you just use it in the same fashion with the white pad? I was just scared to do something wrong with the yellow since it was my first time. So using a DACP would work better than #9? How long does it usually take to work in a small area, in which i did, but i spent only like 5 mins on the tough spots.

Your replies are appreciated, thanks

Accumulator
06-19-2004, 10:39 AM
whosyourbaba- using a cutting pad won`t make the product all *that* much more aggressive. It`s not like it`ll change into something risky just because you changed pads.

The DACP is a lot more aggressive than the #9 and more likely to remove marring. You work it until it`s gone/turned to powder/a *long* time. Might take longer than 5 minutes for a section, hard to say. But the overall polishing will almost always take a *LOT* longer than that.