PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Cut 2.0

325iSBimmer
06-17-2004, 07:30 PM
what would this diamond cut 2.0 #85 be used for? Is it very aggresive to the point it would introduced fine swirls in order to remove hairline scratches? how does it compare to DACP or #82 or #9....

im confused on where to start with the abbraisve level and how many steps from soemthing that aggresive #85

to a swirl free , glossy paint ready for protection?

It seems that megs has many, MANY different products counting down from 10 on the aggresiveness scale.

also. what is #20 polymer sealant....what do i use that for. Im assuming its after a glaze and before a wax?

what is the the #6 cleaner wax (or any cleaner wax for that matter) when do u use it

any help greatly appreciated. Im in the desperate persuit of perfection on a black BMW, which is in very good paint condition to the averages persons eyes but to mine it is swirl heaven on the hood. It`s been wetsanded and they seem to stick out more because of this.

Thanks again

Bill D
06-17-2004, 07:37 PM
I don`t have it but I can tell you Diamond Cut is either the coarsest or next to coasest compound Meguiars makes. My understanding is that its supposed to really be used with rotary to tackle some serious paint blemishes.

It`s considerably more aggressive than DACP and #9

I iamgine you would have to follow with a less aggressive polish to eliminate marring left behind by Diamond Cut.

I would go with the rule to start with the least aggressive product you have first and then work you way up if needed although I`m rather tempted to break that rule when it comes to Audi paint :rolleyes:

The Polymer sealant is a last step product, I suppose you could top it with wax if you wish.

HTH

325iSBimmer
06-17-2004, 07:51 PM
Thank you for the input Bill D. Im going back to the store I was at today to buy some products so im just trying to figure out what would be good buys. I`m not too familiar with any of this Mirror glaze stuff so I dont want to make the mistake of buying overlaping products that do practically the same job.

what would u recomend in the mirror glaze line-up to have as a good starting point.? they also carry some 3M products

so far i have

3M SMR

Bill D
06-17-2004, 07:59 PM
Hmm..

The polishes I have from 3m and Meg`s that I like the most are 3m Pefect It III Machine Glaze and Meg`s DACP. I`ll only comment on those 2 because those I have.

I would try PI III MG first, its a bit less aggressive than DACP to see if your finsih improves, if not, DACP then PI III MG. I would always use a polishing pad ( I have a white Lake country pad) and progess to a cutting pad if the white pad doesn`t do anything for you. If this combination gives you very good results you probably wont even need the smr.

As for your topper, your choice really the wax alone or the sealant. Ofte times people use waxes over seaalnts but I can`t really comment about the ones you have.

325iSBimmer
06-17-2004, 08:09 PM
....as far as waxes go, so far i have Zaino, Meg GC, Deep crystal step 3 and #26) I know zaino is in its own class whether or not someone likes it, so that leaves #26 as the only REAL proffesional series wax I have. I might pick up NXT at that store while Im there. Dont know though cause I`d also like to maybe fo for a P21s or Klasse

Bill D
06-17-2004, 09:25 PM
If you consider P21s, S100 wax is the same thing, you could get it locally at a motorcycle dealer, they also make GEPC under the s100 name as well

325iSBimmer
06-17-2004, 11:01 PM
can some one clear up what meg #6 is (cleaner wax)

is that a one step do-it-all wax or a prep before any polish goes on?

Mike_Phillips
06-18-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by 325iSBimmer

can some one clear up what meg #6 is (cleaner wax)

is that a one step do-it-all wax or a prep before any polish goes on?

Yes. M-0616 is a one-step cleaner wax. It cleans, polishes and protects in one step. It is a very good product for people that don`t want to do a multiple step product.

#85 Diamond Cut Cleaner is an aggressive cutting compound formulated for use with a wool cutting pad on rotary buffer. Although it is an aggressive cutting compound, if you were to feel some between your fingers you would not be able to feel much if anything at all except for a smooth, creamy liquid because the diminishing abrasive used in this formula are microscopic in size.

#84 Compound Power Cleaner is also an aggressive cutting compound however it contains more lubricating oils so that it can be used with a foam cutting pad. Just like the #85 Diamond Cut Compound, if you were to feel some between your fingers, it would feel more like a skin lotion than it would what most people imagine in their mind when they think of the word, compound.

If your not wet-sanding fresh paint or removing serious paint defects with a rotary buffer, you should really have no need for either of these products.

Hope this helps...

Mike

imported_Dave Holmes
06-18-2004, 12:53 AM
Meg`s #6 is a one step type product.

To add to the Meg`s products you already have, as a minimum I`d get #83 (DACP) and #82 (SFP) for swirl removal/polishing. The DACP works wonders on swirls and oxidation, and the SFP is a great polish to remove very minor defects or hazing that may be left from DACP. It also polishes the finish to an extremely high gloss. On my white, I don`t always have to follow DACP with a polish, but on black you may need to because of possible hazing.

After the above, you can use the #7 to further enhance the gloss and really give your black a shimmering wet look.

Wax/protectant is very subjective. All depends on what you want to achieve (ie: looks versus durability, ease of use, etc...). I don`t think you would go wrong with NXT, as I have very good looks AND durability with it. Others have reported less spectacular results. People have reported extremely good looks on dark colors with it, too. I`ve been a user of #20, which is an excellent sealant. It has some cleaning ability (like GC does), so it can`t be used as a topper, but used as a base. #26 is a very good carnauba topper which I`ve used extensively, although durability may be an issue for some. For toppers, I now use #16, which has excellent durability and extremely good looks on my white. It on top of NXT makes my white look like it is drenched in salad oil.

The #40 is an excellent rubber/vinyl cleaner and protectant. It is somewhat mild as a cleaner (compared to dedicated cleaners like #39), but definitely adequate for removing normal crud and grime. It also leaves the surface with a satin type sheen I really like as compared to a shiny surface. It`s my rubber/vinyl surface favorite.

These are just my observations from using the products. Others may have different personal experiences and differing opinions. What is important is that you find the process and products that give you the results you are looking for. It may take a little experimenting, but you`ll eventually come up with your own personal favorites. Personally, I always get outstanding, consistant results with the products I use from Meguiars.

Dave

325iSBimmer
06-18-2004, 12:09 PM
i just picked up DACP and SFP like you guys said...so I`ll give that a go and see how it goes....

thanx for all the input guys....appreciated

Gonzo
06-18-2004, 01:15 PM
It is very important that you work the DACP completely. By that I mean keep going over the area until there is nothing but a very fine dust on the paint. DACP starts off coarse, but as you work it, it breaks down into finer and finer abrasive levels. When all that is left on the paint is dry dust, wipe that off with a clean MF towel. When used like that, you can get away with nothing else.

For the perfectionist in you, then follow the DACP with #9. This product you work differently - work it for a little bit and while it is still wet on the paint, wipe off when wet/damp. Do not work #9 until dry