PDA

View Full Version : SURVEY: Canadians/Poorboys/Autogeek

Pages : [1] 2

killrwheels
06-17-2004, 06:37 AM
I am not a Canadian ..... although they like to visit me here in Florida for our winters. But .... in the recent survey they are looking for Poorboys more than any other product , why ???

Since www.autogeek.net sells this line, and I believe ships to Canada, what is the problem ?? Is the the trade value difference, or shipping costs. (Inquiring minds want to know)

imported_SVT4ME
06-17-2004, 06:58 AM
This is how it goes (Worst case scenerio). Product A cost $30USD. Exchange rate makes that $42. Shipping to Canada usually cost more so lets say $10USD which is $14 Canadian. UPS charges a MINIMUM of $16 to fill the paperwork out at customs. Now that $30 product is now at $72 canadian. Now, if the product is made in any other country than USA it does not qualift under free trade. Lets take Germany, There is a 6.50% terrif charge. Now that $30 product is $76.68. Lets say they are Microfiber towels from Korea, Korea`s terrif charge is 19%! Now your $30 towles just cost you $85.68. These are all without taxes. Our taxes are 15% which they tack on at the border. Soooo, again, worst case is using $30USD of microfiber towels... They CAN cost $91.90 Canadian taxes included!!!Keep in mind there are some people who get lucky and the package slips through customs through USPS only but many times customs still sends you a bill later. Its a gamble and many Canadians get hit. The only way to get around this is for a registered buisness to import product into Canada in Large quantities and do the paperwork themselves. This allows a Canadian distributor to sell the product at simular USA prices. This usually means the Canadian company is not marking up as high as the USA company because of the import fees they still paid. Many places claim they ship to Canada with cheap rates but that don`t mean crap. Its what happens between countries that kills us. Does this clear things up?

The Canadian Government says they do this to encourage Canadians to support the Canadian economy and buy in Canada but they are just money hungry ```````s. They make just as much profit as the small company that is trying hard to make a living! They get there cut before the product is sold!

killrwheels
06-17-2004, 08:48 AM
OUCH !!! :(

Guess they should visit a little more often and take some in the suitcases. Could I send some as a "gift" and have a friend in Canada save some $$$ , and then reimburse me for the favor ??:scared

6cyl's_of_fury
06-17-2004, 08:57 AM
You think Canada is bad, try shipping to Australia! The US$30 Product A would cost that much again just to ship it here. Granted I dont get hit with a tax becuase the dollar value is generally low, but US$60 converts to almost $100 in local currency....thats a big ouch. I have had shipping rates as high as US$50 :scared

Inzane
06-17-2004, 09:18 AM
SVT4ME: I think you`re blowing the problem WAY out of proportion. If you have something shipped via UPS then absolutely you`re going to be screwed... that`s why we just have to use businesses that ship vis US Postal Service.

I have been ordering not only detailing stuff but car parts (mods, etc.) as well for six years now and have NEVER had a problem when stuff comes via the Postal Service. Cheap front-end shipping cost, straight dollar exhange, a $5.00 CDN S&H fee and applicable sales tax and duty (if it applies).

The only time I`ve ever been hit with a late surprise bill from a 3rd party in the mail was when stuff was shipped via Fed EX (or sometimes Purolator), because applicable duties etc. weren`t collected at time of delivery like UPS does.

Big Leegr
06-17-2004, 09:25 AM
"Gifts" are allowed to cross the border via USPS (UPS still charges brokerage fees regardless), but the total value has to be under around $60.00. If, for example, you were to send a "friend" a "gift" costing $100.00, the border still charges duties (even if it`s between blood relatives, for little Jimmy`s birthday!). They also tack on an extra $5.00 "service charge" for the paperwork etc.

stevet
06-17-2004, 09:54 AM
I dont have any problems getting stuff in the mail from a U.S. based vendor. Never have it delivered UPS! If the vendor refuses to send it USPS then go else where because there are many who will send it to you by USPS. This will save you the insane broker fees that UPS charges.

The currency exchange rate is not a factor to me because that same product I purchase would be marked up by that much any way if I purchased it in canada.

The 15% sales tax I pay either way.

The shipping from the U.S. is not that much more than shipping within Canada.

And the terrifs on non NAFTA products, well the vendor can do some things to help you with this. I have never paid a cent toward these terrifs and I have ordered a lot of product. Usually customs just sees car care products written on the box and its from a U.S. vendor they dont open it and no terrifs are charged to me.

Most times it is still cheaper for me to order on line from a U.S. based vendor than it is to purchase from a Canadian source. A good example of this is Meguiars Canada. They mark up the products so much and charge insane shipping costs that you are better off ordering from the U.S.

Try ordering a PC from Megs Canada. It lists for $408.21 CDN. Add 15% sales tax and the shipping . What a joke! You can do much better if you order from the U.S.

Big Leegr
06-17-2004, 10:02 AM
On the topic of Poorboys for Canadians, Steve (Poorboy), Raney (Pakshak) and Eric (Motor City Poorboys) will all ship via USPS to Canada. As well, I haven`t heard of anyone having border issues from any of them. (I certainly haven`t!). Steve has said that he`s working on getting a Canadian distributor, but it`s fallen through MANY times.

imported_SVT4ME
06-17-2004, 10:04 AM
Not all vendors will hop in their car and bring items to the post office if they are not set up on an account with them. Most have daily UPS pick ups. I did mention that my examples were worst case scenerios. Do a search and you will see I am not the only one who has been hit by these charges. Some are luckier than others!

Originally posted by Inzane

SVT4ME: I think you`re blowing the problem WAY out of proportion. If you have something shipped via UPS then absolutely you`re going to be screwed... that`s why we just have to use businesses that ship vis US Postal Service.

I have been ordering not only detailing stuff but car parts (mods, etc.) as well for six years now and have NEVER had a problem when stuff comes via the Postal Service. Cheap front-end shipping cost, straight dollar exhange, a $5.00 CDN S&H fee and applicable sales tax and duty (if it applies).

The only time I`ve ever been hit with a late surprise bill from a 3rd party in the mail was when stuff was shipped via Fed EX (or sometimes Purolator), because applicable duties etc. weren`t collected at time of delivery like UPS does.

stevet
06-17-2004, 10:22 AM
SVT4ME,

If these vendors can`t or wont ship USPS than go with one that will.

CMA

Premium Auto Care

Autogeek

Autopia

Pakshak

Just a few that do use USPS and there are many more. The vendors that dont use USPS are in the minority.

If a vendor refuses to use USPS because they dont want to hop in their car and go to the post office than they dont want your business. Do them a favour and take your business to someone who will appreciate it:rolleyes:

imported_SVT4ME
06-17-2004, 10:33 AM
I`ll keep that in mind next time!

Originally posted by stevet

SVT4ME,

If these vendors can`t or wont ship USPS than go with one that will.

CMA

Premium Auto Care

Autogeek

Autopia

Pakshak

Just a few that do use USPS and there are many more. The vendors that dont use USPS are in the minority.

If a vendor refuses to use USPS because they dont want to hop in their car and go to the post office than they dont want your business. Do them a favour and take your business to someone who will appreciate it:rolleyes:

Inzane
06-17-2004, 10:43 AM
On the topic of Poorboy`s specifically, I just ordered another shipment of MFs from Ranney at Pakshak this week and have a bottle of EX-P coming in this order as well. No fuss. Pakshak can ship to me from Hawaii to Edmonton in about 7-10 days via US Postal Service, the shipping is inexpensive, heck Ranney`s prices are AWESOME (even on the Poorboy`s), and there`s no hassle.

stevet
06-17-2004, 10:59 AM
Ranney`s shipping is very Canadian friendly;)

2wheelsx2
06-17-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by stevet

Ranney`s shipping is very Canadian friendly;)

Yup, Ranney, Dwayne (premiumautocare) and Steve (PB`s) are very Canadian friendly. However, many vendors have been switching to Fedex, and I didn`t know about the charges one time until I was hit with them. Ouch!

BillNorth
06-17-2004, 11:35 AM
Agreed here with most of the people. Buying from the USA is not that bad if you deal with the right vendor. USPS shipping is the only option as well.

stevet,

I always thought CMA was UPS only. I never knew they did USPS. Have you actually purchased anything from them lately?

Bill.