PDA

View Full Version : Cheap buffer -- Let me have it!

don_rapheal
06-16-2004, 11:40 PM
I am totally new to this thing called buffing/polishing. I have never even used one these tools on a car in my life. Would it be all wrong if I bought a cheap one a learned how to properly use one and in due time step up to a PC?

Here it is (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46507)

That is the one I am thinking about getting. I have read that its pretty good, but of course not as good as the topdogs.

Let me know what you think. I am kinda strapped for funds right now, since I have so many other things that I`d like to buy for my car.

Thanks,

Jerry:xyxthumbs

Robb
06-17-2004, 12:01 AM
The link you have is a link to a Rotary buffer, you do not want one of these if you havent used one before. The main polisher used by people on autopia is the PC. It is a random orbit polisher, it is near imossiple to damage the finish with a PC. On the other hand, a rotary buffer is very easy to damage the paint and should only be used after LOTS of practice. If you look on ebay you may be able to find a Porter Cable at a reasonable price.

imported_perry
06-17-2004, 12:03 AM
Heh, that would actually be a step up from a PC as far as skill required to use it. That`s a rotary buffer.. The PC is a random orbital buffer.

There are cheaper random orbital buffers than the PC.. I have a 7" Craftsman (got it several years ago) and I don`t much care for it now that I have learned about the goodness that is a PC. Smaller motor that bogs down as soon as it even gets near paint. No nifty backing plate system that allows use of a variety of foam pads.

I`m now saving up for a PC...

don_rapheal
06-17-2004, 12:59 AM
Oh...wow! I sure am glad I asked first. So I guess I`ll save up for a PC, but what do I do in the mean time? I want to get the swirl and scratches out asap. It just looks awful. I think the person who owned the car before me took it through those drive thru car wash and it got all scratched up and stuff. Help!?

hirosh
06-17-2004, 01:09 AM
You could try removing/minimizing the swirls and scratches by hand, but it takes a lot of elbow grease. There might be some other posts on removing/minimizing swirls by hand, but I don`t know where. Try doing a search. Best of luck!

MattZ28
06-17-2004, 01:23 AM
By hand I`d say your best bet is a polish with alot of oils and fillers in it....I don`t think you`re going to be able to break down most polishes by hand without having a heart attack ;)

dgraupman
06-17-2004, 06:38 AM
don_rapheal - if you really catch the Autopian fever, you`ll eventually end up with at least a PC. My recommendation is to save your money until you can get a PC with some good pads. It will greatly improve your prep work, which is where the majority of your car`s great appearance will come from. The products themselves will get you that last 10% of improvement you`re ultimately searching for

Save your $$ and invest in quality. Have patience. It will be cheaper in the long run.

MarcBickham
06-17-2004, 06:51 AM
I was poking around on Harbor Freight earlier - they have some random orbital polishers (which is what the PC is) by the same manufacturer in the $20-$30 range. Don`t remember what size the motors were ---

former86camaro
06-17-2004, 07:19 AM
I have that one and use it only to remove hard swirls and oxidation. Never for daily, weekly or monthly use..

MarcBickham
06-17-2004, 08:02 AM
Mr. Clean 2K - Which one are you referring to? Rotary or random orbital?

jimmybuffit
06-17-2004, 09:01 AM
The Rotary is really a serious tool, which WILL damage a vehicle, in the wrong hands!

Start with the Porter Cable 7424.

For those who understand the rotary check this link: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30305&highlight=%2425+Rotary

I`m about to order a second one...

Jim

don_rapheal
06-17-2004, 02:00 PM
Thanks a lot folks. I guess I can try the elbow grease thingy. You guys have been so much help.

ACURA95
06-17-2004, 02:14 PM
buckslayer,

I looked at the owers manual and it is only .6 amps.

Corey Bit Spank
06-17-2004, 02:19 PM
I`m getting a rotary soon. I`ve decided. :) But definitely get a PC first.