PDA

View Full Version : Association/ part 2

imported_turbomangt
06-16-2004, 10:44 PM
I don`t ever like being on the third page of a thread, so I started a new one. Let me say just a few words. Last year I had the privledge of meeting Jim at a Car-brite seminar in Indy. After talking to jim for a few days I can tell you this. He has a heart of gold with intentions of creating something that all of us can benefit from. I give him all the credit for trying this. I agree with Anthony, who qualifies me, or you to be certified? When Jim and I left the car-brite seminar we got certificates, it means nothing.

What does mean something is innovative ideas coming to reality. I have been hosting detailing clinics aournd my parts now for two years now. I just completed my 100th class. Now other detailers are doing the same thing. Why, Because I share my success with my peers so they can benefit. I came home tonight with a check for $250 for an hour and half class, and $400 in my pocket from selling supplies. My youngest son has Type 1 Diabetes, I have been turned down by 6 insurance companies. One company that does high risk coverage quoted me $2,500 a month! If the association can get group insurance, I`m all over it. Many times group policies exclude any pre-exsistng Illness. These are the kinds of things Jim and Brian are trying to bring to the table. How can anyone be critical of that? I recently wrote an article that JIm posted on the association web site with intentions of helping other detailers capitalize on how to make more money. Read> enjoy> and share the wealth and ideas you have with all of us. Together we can be stronger. Gary Perfect Auto Finish.

ntwrkguy1
06-16-2004, 11:36 PM
Gary,

I agree with you that innovative ideas can come to reality. While the qualification process is going to prove to be a challenge, it may also prove to be the first step towards eliminating the hacks that plague our business. People shopping for the lowest price make it easy for hacks to garner a share of the business. However, they typically have no value-add, and often times can`t perform the most basic detailing tasks.

From a business perspective, I think the certification process faces an interesting challenge. Detailing is, to a degree, a very subjective talent, and as such, is difficult to standardize. But, in order to evolve, the profession will need to somehow establish some basic guidelines and move forward from there.

This forum is probably more responsible for improving people`s `game` than any of the `certified` trainings you can attend. I agree in sharing the wealth of ideas, and I`m always interested in reading your insights/methods. It`s not like we`re all competing for the same customers in the same part of town. Personally, I`ve gained lots of great ideas from this forum, even though I`ve been detailing cars for over 20 years!

-DavidM

Anthony O.
06-17-2004, 07:10 PM
Gary and David.....

I agree with you both that while there are many wrinkles to iron out does notmean they CAN`T be ironed out.

It all has to start somewhere and Jim and Brian might be able to get it to work or perhaps they will lay some more ground work for another or others to come along and continue.

What ticks me off is when a person or persons want to shut down mobile detailers, standardize and mandate all detailers through their "association" so that then all detailers who wish to be "legal" MUST go through their school and pay them big money to do so. If that ever happened I would quit detailing as a profession in a heartbeat.

Anthony

Jim Hammill
06-17-2004, 09:55 PM
Anthony, thank you for you input and comments. If I may I`d like to clarify a few things, as there seems to be a misunderstanding somewhere, and I`d also like to offer a few assurances.

This very small association is not out to put anyone out of business, or mandate/regulate anyone. The association has been formed with the intention of providing assistance to both mobile and fixed detailers. We are going to try and offer certification for those who want it , as this is one of the things that many people who have taken the survey have said they would like to see. It wont be compulsory, it will just be there for those who would like to take it.

Another topic that was popular was assistance in meeting EPA requirements, and licensing laws, people who want to find out just what they have to do to get legal. One member expressed concern about how his local zoning laws could actually force him out of business as the local laws prohibit operating in residential areas, he will lose some 50% of his customer base because of this. I don’t know exactly what we can do to help, or even if we can, but we will do everything we can to help him stay in business , or go down swinging in the process.

We do not want to standardize detailing , I don’t see how that could ever be done anyway . You yourself have said on occasion that you believe detailing is an art form, I don’t believe that art should or ever could be standardized. What we would like to do is to be able to provide high quality information, from people such as the OEM`s, chemical manufacturers and distributors. I think you will agree that if you ask a question about detailing on some forums , you can often get 25 different answers, followed by 25 more arguing why the previous answers were wrong. What we are aiming to provide is a training/certification program for those who request it, that has been written by people who, much like yourself, are respected by their peers in the industry and know what they are talking about.

If I ever believed for one moment that this association would turn in to an enforcement agency then I would not be doing it. The association is being formed by detailers, the regular people who work in detail shops, out of their mobile units or in the dealerships, with the simple aim of helping each other out. If someone chooses not to be a part of it, it certainly does not make them a hack or a poor detailer. I do think that becoming a part of it can help people become a better detailer and grow their business skills.

One concern that many have had is membership criteria, some people have raised the very valid point of how do we keep the hacks out and genuine detailers in ? Honestly, at this time we are not sure, we have to have some sort of criteria as half the people are saying "license/insurance etc to keep the hacks out" and the other half are saying " I cant afford insurance/water reclaim mat" so we have some work to do there right now, but we will strike a balance somehow. Remember that this association is only just over three weeks old and it is a learning process for both Brian and I.

I would really like to welcome you onboard with this venture if you ever change your mind, as I feel you would be a great asset in helping us to grow this for everyone’s benefit, but I do respect your decision not to do so, but it will be our loss.

I look forward to any further comments or suggestions you might have.

Jim Hammill.

Anthony O.
06-18-2004, 10:02 AM
Jim,

Finally a response with some meat to it:xyxthumbs

I feel I must apologize in a sense because I responded in the way I did to...well....get the response you just gave. You answered more questions, and perhaps put more minds at ease, with the above response than any previous. For years I debated theological and religous issues but I had to quit when I sought to pummel my opponent rather than share the gospel but alot of the tactics stick with me, even on the detailing forums so if I came off as stand offish or brash I apologize for it had a purpose.

"IF" the association can stay along the lines that you have just layed out then I might interested. I also thank you for the kind words and again my hat off to you and Brian.

Might I suggest you and Brian do some research into how respected professions, like doctors and lawyers, came into being? This may give you some idea on how to shape and mold your association. It all has to start somewhere and with someone.

Anthony