PDA

View Full Version : FMJ - whats the story?

6cyl's_of_fury
06-16-2004, 04:34 AM
It seems to be, from the few threads I have read about it, that FMJ is a remarkably good sealant that has "flown under the Autopia radar" so to speak.

The durability aspect still seems to be up in the air a little, but on the face of it, the $40 asking price and lack of Autopian apprasial is seemingly the biggest hurdle. The photos I have seen are great, and it appears to be every bit as good as the top sealants out there, but without the following and fanfare of say Wolfgang/Klasse/Zaino. Is this the case? I must admit that I am sorely tempted, but the lack of exposure here on Autopia has me treading wearily, as Anthony O is seemingly the only one really experimenting with it?

eclemens
06-16-2004, 06:22 AM
More penetration, Less energy transfer.

Sorry, I don`t know either, but am curious.

VV

maecrispy
06-16-2004, 06:23 AM
I too have been curious about FMJ but the $40 tag is just way too much, IMHO. I mean, I may try it for my own personal driver but for actual customers, I don`t really think it`s twice as good as any other sealant out there (which would justify it being double the price of most sealant`s out there.) It just wouldn`t be cost effective.

Dohhunter
06-16-2004, 08:26 AM
I`m currently using it on my garage queen ZR1. And planning on using it shortly on my weekend driver Trans Am.

IP with orange pad, FPII with white pad, the finishing touch glaze (hand and grey pad, haven`t decided which is better yet) and then the FMJ.

Easiest product I have EVER wiped off, about 10x as easy as zaino to come off. Seriously, one swipe with a microfibre and it was awesome. The glaze was a little tougher, but nothing too significant.

Excellent depth, excellent shine. I won`t be able to say anything about durability as one car only sees the light of day about three times a month and the other about twice a week.

However, FMJ would definitely NOT be cost effective for a detailer doing customer cars, unless you charged a big premium.

Dalight
07-02-2004, 09:20 AM
Does anyone have a durability update for FMJ?

l33
07-02-2004, 09:42 AM
From the CMA website it says 160-270 days. I use it on the cars i do and it definitly holds up, not sure about 270 but it is very durable plus layerable. Last time i used it on my personal car was 4 months ago and it still beads. I`m sure most of you have seen this but from the CMA site...

"FMJ is crafted in the German tradition of being a superbly well balanced sealant but breaks new ground with it`s spectacular shine. Imagine the slippery feel of Zaino®, the depth of Pinnacle Souveran, the liquidity of Zymol® and the durability of BLACKFIRE all rolled into one product!

FMJ is our best winter wax. FMJ was designed to last through Germany`s harsh winters. If you store a vehicle during the winter or just want to put a protective winter jacket on your car, truck, or SUV, this is the product to choose.

FMJ is our best coastal wax. The polymers in FMJ are highly resistant to abrasion (wind blown debris), salt air and salt water etching. If you live in a coastal community. FMJ would be our recommendation for keeping your vehicle looking its best."

who knows how much of this is marketing but i am extremely happy with the product. It is a little expensive, but the bottle`s spout is very small and only releases a small amount of product at a time which goes a long way.

Rufus03
07-04-2004, 03:29 PM
Ive got three layers of fmj on my black Volvo s60. It`s a daily driver. I use Four Star UGE as a QD and use it to refresh the coating after washing. It`s still holding up very well. No touch ups. Car is garage kept. The depth of the finish rivals carnauba. I used IP X2 with a blue Edge pad for polishing after washing and claying. Speed was 1500 RPM. Followed with IP and cyclo and AIO by hand. Im very happy with the product. I think it`s one of the best sealants out there. Very easey to use.

I`ll post picutres next week when I have my digital camera.