PDA

View Full Version : Which is more abrasive, DACP or 3M Perfect-II?

General Lee
06-15-2004, 07:40 PM
In conjuction with my previous thread- "Anyone have a hard time getting motivated to detail"..... I went out and visited Pep Boys to look for some 3M products.(I really wanted DACP, but can`t find locally) I found what I was looking for and left.

I then thought, " let me try this parts store called CARQUEST. It used be a NAPA. I walked in and BAM!! They carry a whole slew of Meguiars products including #83. They even carry 3M polishing pads along w/ Meguires polishing pads for DA polishers/rotary.

So I ended up with 3M first, then found the #83 and bought that and started to detail my truck. Only half way finished.

Which is more abrasive 3M perfect II rubbing compound or DACP?

I started w/ DACP on the truck.

6cyl's_of_fury
06-15-2004, 07:52 PM
I have heard that the rubbing compound is slightly more abrasive but there is not a real lot in it.....

Glossequation
06-15-2004, 08:20 PM
Another question--which is more aggressive--DACP or PI-III MG? I have heard they are almost equal, with the MG leaving less--or no--haze (even with a cutting pad).

stevet
06-15-2004, 09:25 PM
DACP is much more abrasive than 3M Perfect IT III Machine Glaze. DACP is closer to Perfect IT III Rubbing Compound. I use Machine Glaze for very light marring or as a follow up to DACP and PI III Rubbing compound. I would say Machine Glaze is close to Megs Swirl Free Polish or #80 Speed Glaze.

Accumulator
06-16-2004, 11:08 AM
What SteveT said :xyxthumbs The PI-II/III RCs (39002/05933)aren`t really all that aggressive and are sorta the 3M alternatives to DACP. I`d probably put the MG between the #82 and the #80, but it`s pretty close; we`re really splitting hairs here.

But I find that, almost *always*, using a cutting pad will require a follow-up with a milder pad, no matter what product I`m using. In fact, I can`t remember a case when it didn`t, but that`s just with *my* technique and on *my* vehicles.