PDA

View Full Version : QEW on convertible top?

samhian
06-15-2004, 01:49 PM
I was wondering if anyone is using Quick and Easy Wash to wash their convertible top. If you are, how are you doing it?

GoodnClean
06-15-2004, 07:46 PM
I did a VW cabrio, the first convertible I`ve done with QEW. It worked fine actually, I just used the wash mitt to scrub the QEW into the top then wiped it dry...

Scottwax
06-16-2004, 12:13 AM
Works just fine; make sure you use only MF towels on cloth tops so you don`t leave any lint.

samhian
06-16-2004, 07:36 AM
Awesome. Thanks guys!

imported_memnuts
06-17-2004, 08:39 AM
I would not wash a canvas top with QEW unless you intend to rinse ALL residue off with plenty of H2O. This would defeat the purpose of using QEW. :( The cleaning agents in QEW (I am only guessing) would be harmful to the top`s protectant and the wax in QEW may not be beneficial for the fabric. There are no short cuts for proper canvas top cleaning except a quick vacuum between deep cleanings.

Vinyl tops I see no problem.

WW MF`s are great for drying canvas tops (no lint).

imported_memnuts
06-19-2004, 05:49 AM
Check out this website for some ideas on proper convertible top care .

www.Haartz.com

tom p.
06-19-2004, 06:38 AM
I wash the fabric top on our convertible once a year. It was treated when new and really doesn`t appear dirty so I just give it an intensive rinse when the body is washed.

When I do wash I use the Porsche soap for soft tops and agitate lightly with a BHB. Drying is always accomplished, as Scott notes, with the MF drying towel.

imported_memnuts
06-19-2004, 08:45 AM
Tom, :wavey

Do you drive your convertible daily/often in Boston and is it garaged the majority of the time? If so I would throughly wash monthly and coat with protectant of choice (RaggTop in my case) every 2-3 months for maximum preservation of a fabric top. When the protectant stops beading like the protected paint, it is time to renew.

If you are like me and only drive your convertibles for pleasure excursions and garaged all other times, once a year is sufficient with vacuuming and rinsing only needed. DavidB`s newsletter had a great article on top care which included the thread care and its requirement for consistent care and protection. Excellent read for all convertible owners.

Lived in the Boston area for 43 years and the pollution (fallout) is terrible. With the Big Dig there is even more particulate matter consistently a float.

Just got back from Boston and Newport RI this week and I had to rinse the black car (LS400) everyday because of pollen and fallout!

You probably already know this but clarification of conditions in which one uses one`s convertible (canvas) greatly effects frequency of top care.

Try a quality WW as a canvas top drying towel. They work better than a regular MF.:xyxthumbs