PDA

View Full Version : Layering Klasse Sealant

MRL
06-15-2004, 06:15 AM
How long should you wait for the Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze to "cure" before applying another sealant layer? or before applying P21S Carnauba wax?

scottiem
06-15-2004, 07:01 AM
Well from what I`ve been reading just about everyone who uses it waits a least 24 hours with a percentage waiting a week in between coats. I couldn`t tell you from experience as just ordered some Klasse yesterday so it will be my first time using it. Also I`ve heard that the WOO method descirbe by Bill North is the easiest way to apply the SG producing great results.

thinksnow
06-15-2004, 07:01 AM
24 hours before topping with anything.

I would get a good 2 or 3 layers before topping with carnuba. Remember that topping SG with P21s will end your SG layering.

MRL
06-15-2004, 07:19 AM
What is the WOO method?

thinksnow
06-15-2004, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by MRL

What is the WOO method? WOO (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30989&highlight=bill+north)

superbon54
07-25-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by thinksnow

24 hours before topping with anything.

I would get a good 2 or 3 layers before topping with carnuba. Remember that topping SG with P21s will end your SG layering.

I`m having a debate with some folks on another board, so I`d like someone to help me out if possible.

Exactly where did this 24 hour cure time come from? It`s not found in any official instructions from Klasse or anywhere else I could find.

Thanks

david328ci
07-25-2004, 08:52 PM
I`m layering Klasse SG right now on my car. I waited 24 hours for the first 3 coats and I`m going to wait a week to do the 4th one. After waiting a day and apply another SG, I can visibly see that the paint has more pop to it. I`m not sure how much of a difference a weekwill make, but I`m about to find out.

Carl Anderson
07-25-2004, 09:01 PM
This is my wife`s RX330 with AIO followed by one coat of Klasse sealant today. I will wait at least 24 hours and then start to layer.

dmatre
07-26-2004, 05:17 AM
I`ve waited anywhere between 12 hours and a couple of weeks between layers.

I, for one, can`t wait 24 hours - as I do all of my detailing on weekends. Typically, if I`m starting from zero, I`ll clay/polish/AIO/SG the car on Saturday, finishing the SG in the middle of the afternoon. Then, I`ll apply the 2nd coat of SG first thing Sunday morning (after wiping down lightly with a California Car Duster).

I`ve found the SG hazing that some have experienced once or twice, but a quick wipe-down with Sonus spray, and all is crystal clear. Considering that I`ve also gotten some hazing (during my first tries with SG) on the first layer, I don`t think that the cure time had anything to do with it.

Now that I`ve used the SG for a while, hazing is no longer an issue. If I spot it while wiping off the SG, I just go over the haze area with the applicator again, then wipe the area immediately. This removes any hazing/streaking, and the finish is awesome.

foxtrapper
07-26-2004, 05:23 AM
You can re-layer SG immediately. I`ve done it that way several times, and never had any problem with it. In fact, going from my experience building boats and working with polymers like this, I`d say you`ll get better results this way then waiting extensively between layers. Has to do with them chemically bonding instead of mechanically bonding.

As for a carnuba wax overcoat, I`d personally be inclined to wait upwards of a week. The last thing you want to have happen is a reaction between the two products that produces hazing. So I`d from one weekend to the next.

Douxebris
07-26-2004, 05:36 AM
Bob Faragasso, (President of Klasse USA) says wait 8-12 hours between coats of SG.

Jeff Laughhunn

spotter
07-26-2004, 07:32 AM
I personally think it depends a lot on the humidity. It is extremely humid in my area and I wait at least 12-18 hours. I also believe it depends a great deal on how much product you have used. In my experience an extremely thin layer of SG (thin enough to where you have to really look hard to even see if it has been applied) results in much less cure time. Using the extremely thin layers of SG has also resulted in having never seen any hazing or difficulty in buffing the SG. I have used SG numerous times on white, dark emerald green, and on dark gray metallic using both the WOWO method and using a damp towel then a dry towel and have never seen any hazing with either method and have not had to use any Sonus or other QD to remove the SG.

I would suggest that anyone having any problems with SG removal is applying too much product (although I do realize that black cars are a different animal).

BillNorth
07-26-2004, 07:50 AM
I personally wait 1 week. I`m not a chemist, but we used to have one on the board. And he said in general, polymers usually take around 1 week to fully cure. I realize klasse may be a different animal, and that it may be possible to do back to back layers, but why take the chance? I can just add a coat after my weekly wash, for three consecutive washes. No big deal for me (maybe it is for some others).

Sometimes perfection/great results require time and patience. People need to get out of their instant gratification mentality when using some products. Just relax, and let the reults come in due time.

JMHO,

Bill. :) :up

imported_memnuts
07-26-2004, 08:12 AM
As Bill said.

Also, products like Klasse and Zaino actually improve in appearance after a few days of curing. By adding closely spaced layers one is actually delaying gratification. Using products like Zaino (inherently easy) and Klasse (quite easy with WOW) it is such a pleasure and temptation to just keep layering. I know I have the urge every evening on my garage queen/rarely driven vehicle (Z28). :wavey

SK2003TypeS
07-26-2004, 08:41 AM
I also vote a few days or week. I notice two coats of Zaino looks better to me when they are spaced out over a week.