PDA

View Full Version : Places where a PC won`t reach

Marj
06-14-2004, 08:11 PM
Normally I use the PC with DACP, but what product do you recommend to get places where the PC can`t reach such as between emblems that are perhaps 3 or 4" apart. Mainly I am asking for a hand application product for micro scratches.

Thanks

overtheedge
06-14-2004, 08:17 PM
Meguiars Scratch X is a good hand applied product for those "hard to get to with a PC" places.

Marj
06-14-2004, 08:27 PM
I have micro scratches from using the PC with DACP & burgundy pad on an angle. So what I have done is really flattened the surface. Normally the next step is to go with a polishing pad and work the product till it looks gone and is powdery, but will Scratch X really polish up the surface marring?

Accumulator
06-15-2004, 11:49 AM
bcgreen- Hard to say if that`ll work, but sure, give it a try. I`d use a milder pad/product combo with the PC and use the edge, myself.

3-4" is still a big space to me, I`d use the PC for that. I`d use a big pad (6.5 or even larger) so I had more overhanging edge to work with. I`d move the PC sideways as well as up/down in the area as best I could. The larger pad would make this easier.

But hey, that`s just me and I`ve been doing this for a while.

It`s worth experimenting to find a product that works well for you by hand *and* machine. You`re always gonna have spots that you can`t do by machine. I get good results with 3M`s PI-III RC and MG (05933 and 05937) and the 1Z polishes.

Marj
06-15-2004, 12:05 PM
I am using the standard size pads from Mequiar`s with good success, its just in this particular instance, I don`t want to screw up the chrome emblems by polishing by machine. I was thinking prior to your posting to go ahead and polish with the PC on edge.

"3M`s PI-III RC and MG" are you using the MG instead of DACP, and are you using a PC or buffer?

Thanks

Accumulator
06-15-2004, 06:56 PM
bcgreen- I use the 3M PI-III RC (905933, it`s a lot milder than it sounds) instead of DACP and follow it up with the MG (05937). Or I`ll use 1Z Ultra/Extra or 1Z PP instead of DACP (which one depends on how bad the marring is). I`m just not a DACP user, though it`s good stuff that`s *very* popular here.

I use these products with all three machines- rotary, Cyclo, and PC. And by hand.

You`re smart to avoid unnecessary polishing of your chrome emblems. It *is* possible to wear off the plating (gee, ask me how I know :o).

Maybe see if you can slide some masking tape under the emblem to keep most of the polishing off of it. If the emblems are not glued on, I`ll often just take them off if I`m gonna do any aggressive polishing.