PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars #7 on TOP of Souveran for a show car?

Spilchy
06-14-2004, 07:51 PM
I have a top coat of Souveran Paste on a 78 single stage Mercedes.

My client is showing his car Saturday in a competition.

He wants me to "spruce it up" which will include a wash with Sonax and QD`d with Pinnacle Crystal Mist and the new Sonus MF towel. Glass and chrome get QD`d with Quickshine

However, I want to add a real wet look to the car if I can improve on it currently.

My question is, have any of you used a glaze on top of a wax and then RE-WAXED?

For example, I would love to use #7 for the single stage, but do NOT want to polish the car again to remove any of the products I have on it.

Will I have issues with the #7 on TOP of the Souveran?

If it`s just for show, do you think I should re-wax it IF I can use the #7?

NOTE: This car is NEVER driven. I mean NEVER. So a top coat of glaze would suffice if you guys feel a coat of Souveran would dull the #7.

Pats300zx
06-15-2004, 06:18 AM
I have used #81/Pinnacle Souveran on my show car and I feel its a great combo. I switched from #7 to #81 since it was far easier to use. I think the PS will greatly enhance the shine. Def give it a try.

imported_speedracer
06-15-2004, 07:13 AM
I think #7 has a cleaner in it...in that case you cant obviously put on top of the Souveran.

I always use a polish (WG) then put the paste on top.

Spilchy
06-15-2004, 07:23 AM
hhhmmm, I think I`ll leave it as is and just primp it with the Pinnacle Crystal Mist since I already have the Souveran on it.

Silli
06-15-2004, 07:38 AM
As far as I know and what I have read on numerous topics, #7 does not contain any solvents or abrasives. It should be a pure polish/glaze. And I read somewhere that it is perfectly ok to put a layer of #7 on top of the wax layer for a really wet looking show-shine. It wont last many days without any protective layer but it should not eat up your wax layer either.

I don`t even think you`ll need to top it off with a wax layer if the layer beneath #7 is in "good condition".

I think it could be a good idea to try out, but I am a newbie when it comes to detailing so don`t read my words like the law.

I`ll try to find a link to the article about topping with #7...

regards,

silli

Edit:

Yup, found it, it is in this thread: #7 By Mike Phillips (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23740)

"However… right before a show… to make the paint look wet and to fill in hairline scratches, it is perfectly aright to apply the #7 on top of the wax, thus the name… Show Car Glaze."

hope this helps.

Silli

Spilchy
06-15-2004, 08:18 AM
sweet, thanks for the research.

So I will try out a couple panels of #7 on top of Souveran to see the results.

Richt
06-15-2004, 08:53 AM
In all honesty i would add the coat of #7 and then add another coat off wax. I always find that the coat off wax over the top of the number #7 always looks even better. I enter my car in show and shine and concours and have always topped the glaze with wax. I havenet topped 7 with Souveran but have done with Blitz, P21s, #26 and #16

thinksnow
06-15-2004, 09:37 AM
Not to mention that adding and removing another coat of wax over partially-removed #7 is quicker and easier than removing the #7 completely:up

Originally posted by RichPug306xsi

In all honesty i would add the coat of #7 and then add another coat off wax. I always find that the coat off wax over the top of the number #7 always looks even better. I enter my car in show and shine and concours and have always topped the glaze with wax. I havenet topped 7 with Souveran but have done with Blitz, P21s, #26 and #16

Richt
06-15-2004, 10:24 AM
I have never had any problems removing #7 or #82, but 3M IHG thats another matter!!!!