PDA

View Full Version : Changing pads on a PC for different cars?

imported_Teck
06-14-2004, 06:39 PM
I`m still up in the air about buying a PC and all the fun stuff that goes with it. It will be used mostly for 2 different cars and maybe an occansional friend. My car steel grey metalic and a dark blue.

Do you need different pads for each car? I ask this cause it seems that when polishing there is a good chance to transfer some paint color off. I may be wrong.

Or do you only need to be sure to use 1 product type per pad? Then its possible to use it on many differnt cars.

Also is this kit plenty to get started with or do I need to oder extras above and beyond whats included?

http://www.properautocare.com/makhigspeedp2.html

Accumulator
06-14-2004, 07:13 PM
The kit you linked to is for *rotary* polishers, not the PC. You don`t need the wool pad in that kit.

I`m starting to recommend people just buy two cutting pads, three polishing pads, and two finishing pads. That`s plenty, with spares for the things that seem to happen. Check out the shipping rates and order more if the shipping charges make it a good idea. You`ll use the pads eventually and they don`t go bad.

If you`re working with clearcoats, the paint transfer is a non-issue. Even with single stage, you can often clean the pad well enough to use on different color cars (especially with colors as similar as the ones you mentioned).

Yes, it *IS* a good idea to only use one product per pad. I`ll mix carnauba waxes, but that`s about it. This usually works OK for PC-newbies, as it`s best to really *learn* a given set of products by using them a few times before trying something else. Hint- pick something easy to master, like polishes from 1Z, Menzerna, PoorBoy`s, 3M, etc.

Heh heh, now go buy that PC and some pads, unless you think you`d be happier with a Cyclo ;)

imported_Teck
06-14-2004, 07:46 PM
Hmm it looks like it says for the porter cable 7428... Is that not what I`m looking for?

Thanks for your help!

Accumulator
06-15-2004, 11:18 AM
Tech- Porter Cable makes a bunch of different tools, the one you`re looking at is their *rotary* polisher. You want the 7336 or one of the similar units with a different number (I forget what those numbers are at the moment and I`ve lent mine to a friend- maybe 7424). You`re after their *random orbital* polisher/sander.

paco
06-15-2004, 11:45 AM
Search for the definitive porter cable thread here and it provides you with a summary of all the codes and what`s included.

Note: There is a Porter Cable DA 7428 and Porter Cable Rotary 7428 so you need to ensure it`s the Dual Action version.