PDA

View Full Version : Using DACP by hand?

brucehjburke
06-14-2004, 11:08 AM
Hi all, been a while since i`ve posted, sold my old car and the first thing the buyer said when they viewed the car was `wow the car is like brand new, so shiney`:D and subsequently bought it, anyway bought a 1991 GOLF GTi to replace it and it came with some pretty bad swirl marks with a few light scratches:( , so i`m planning on claying the car, then use the DACP to try and get rid of those horrid swirl marks, would it be possible to achieve a good result with DACP by hand?

Also after the DACP i would like to apply some sealant before a couple of coats of S100, what are people`s opinion on Poorboy`s EX Sealant?

Thankyou

paco
06-14-2004, 11:25 AM
DACP by hand. Only if your Scottwax :0

I`d personally go with the 3M PI-3 or 1Z MP first and see how that goes.

Paco

brucehjburke
06-14-2004, 11:30 AM
Thing is that i`ve not got access to 3M or the 1Z products here in the UK, so should i go for Swirl Remover 2.0 or Scratch X?

My last car was brand new therefore i didn`t get to use the swirl and scratch remover products so i`m a bit new to how the swirl remover work, do i use the Swril Remover all over the car like a polish or only on the troubled spot?

Cheers

Accumulator
06-14-2004, 11:31 AM
What Paco said, only I`ll specifically recommend PI-III MG (pn 05937). Oh, and the 1Z MP is awfully mild, I`d go with their PP instead. Sorry, can`t help with the EX, but many people like it and refer to its look as "dipped in salad oil".

paco
06-14-2004, 11:46 AM
Monk,

No. 9 is good but also mild. It really depends on the severity of the swirls. I just re-read you original post and you`ll probably need something more than what No. 9 can offer. As accumalor highlighted, PP is probably a better bet.

If you have access to DACP and No. 9, then try it by hand. You probably will leaving some hazing behind with DACP by hand but No. 9 might be able to bring the gloss back.

It`s definitely worth a shot.

Advice: Do one panel at time completely. That way, if you get to tired, you can a panel a day or week. Within a couple of weeks, the whole car will be completed and you`ll be a stronger man for it.

You`ll find you probably need to do DACP 2x and No. 9 2x or 3x time to get the swirls out by hand (if they are as bad as posted above).

Paco

Accumulator
06-14-2004, 11:49 AM
Yeah, or see if you can find #80 Speed Glaze. It works well on marring by hand.

paco
06-14-2004, 11:53 AM
Oh yeah, I personally only polish where required. If it`s a pretty serious fix, then blending it out a bit helps. Especially if you have orange peel and the spot fix got rid of it.

The problem is, most people have a swirl problem over the entire vehicle so you end up having to polish it all.

brucehjburke
06-14-2004, 11:59 AM
Thanks guys, been a great help, will post the result up once it done :)

Glossequation
06-14-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

What Paco said, only I`ll specifically recommend PI-III MG (pn 05937).

Me too.

Lowejackson
06-14-2004, 03:39 PM
You should have no problem buying 3M in the UK, it is probably sold in every city. Even 1Z should not be a problem.

Have a look at page 1 http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29410

Lowejackson
06-14-2004, 03:41 PM
Oh yes, welcome back to Autopia :)

brucehjburke
06-15-2004, 04:15 PM
cheers lowejackson, nice to be back too :)

ps nice to see more UK peeps on here:D , when i first joined there was only a handful