PDA

View Full Version : to wash or not

00alero
06-13-2004, 09:37 PM
I work next to where construction is going on. They are breaking up concrete etc. My co workers cars look as if someone poured a bag of mortor mix powder mix all over it and then attempted to rinse it. You get the idea.

I don`t work that much, but do I dare wash my car? Or no, b/c it will only get dirty again?

Oh... and I found a possible autopian at work. This one girl was pissed b/c she spend 2+ hrs cleaning her car the day b4 just to have it messed up by the construction. She does a nice job though. I always thought she went through a carwash, but I was wrong... she did it by hand. Even in the winter too!

LouisanaJeeper
06-13-2004, 09:45 PM
I would leave it dirty b/c as soon as it rains or gets wet you will have to wash immediatley cause you dont want that stuff bonded to your paint.

HotRodGuy
06-14-2004, 10:22 AM
sucks, I work in an industrial district and my car gets filthy :(

Accumulator
06-14-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by LouisanaJeeper

I would leave it dirty b/c as soon as it rains or gets wet you will have to wash immediatley cause you dont want that stuff bonded to your paint.

Other side of coin: Heh heh, I *would* wash it for the same reason :D

I`d worry that if you let stuff build up, you`ll quickly get to the point where you`ll mar the finish trying to remove it. I`d try to keep it as clean as possible so you`re always just removing a *little bit* of presumably abrasive stuff.

Think about how easy it is to rewash a previously spotless, freshly waxed vehicle... but once contaminants really build up they seem to bond to the surface, and then you have to "scrub" to get things clean.

medic159
06-14-2004, 10:54 AM
I`d wash and be sure I have a good few layers of protection on the car.

Is it practical to use a car cover? Maybe a lightweight one would help keep down the dust?

Lowejackson
06-14-2004, 03:25 PM
I would fill buckets of water with a lot of (cheap) shampoo and throw it over the paint and then use a hose to wash away the remaining dirt

EBPcivicsi
06-14-2004, 04:16 PM
I would wash no doubt, if no other reason than peace of mind. At least the car will be clean for the drive to work. ;)

Lowejackson
06-14-2004, 04:21 PM
You could also be in trouble if you dont wash and it starts to rain. The wiper blades could create some unpleasant marks on the glass

Chubs
06-14-2004, 04:29 PM
Wash IT! I`d imagine that the mortar mix would get hard with a little rain. I also know that there are some acids in cement and mortar. I`m not sure if they will damage your paint but I`m willing to bet that they can. Just with all the fall out from industries, trains,acid rain, even from brake dust it etches the paint enough I wouldn`t want more damage. IMO but I wash it and get some good quailty wax on it.

TLL
06-15-2004, 07:04 PM
Apply good protectant, keep it clean and when at work cover it with a good quality custom fit light weight car cover. Light weight so its easy to store in the trunk and easy to install.