PDA

View Full Version : Some doubts

chevymaniaco
06-13-2004, 01:18 PM
hello, this is my first message and i have been reading a lot of posts about this. But...i have some doubts that i hope you can explain me ;) :rolleyes:

what is a pc and a rotary buffer??? is it the same thing???

:confused:

and what is the difference between polishing and waxing??? waxing is just to "protect" the paint?? :rolleyes:

thanks for your time reading my message :wavey

saludos desde mexico!!!! :D

paco
06-13-2004, 01:21 PM
pc = Porter Cable (brand) PCDA - Porter Cable Dual Action polish

No they are not the same.

Waxing - applying a wax to a car

Polishing - using an abrasive or chemical cleaner to remove scratches, oxidation etc.

Search the forum, there`s a tonne of information.

Paco

zzyyzx
06-13-2004, 03:32 PM
First, welcome to Autopia....

More info on PC & Rotary...

PCs make a random orbital pattern. They kinda make lots of random movements in the same area. This helps spread a product and does more of the "work" for you instead of by hand.

A rotary spins very quickly (most will go faster than 1500 rpms, but you should never need that under most circumstances) in a circle. This builds up heat and does a lot more "work", but on the same note, it can be dangerous to use, as in an inexperienced user can literally burn through paint. You can remove more imperfections with a rotary than with a PC. But as someone on this board once put it, you`d have to be an ape to ruin the paint with a PC.

Like Paco said, a polish is a prep that usually takes off a very fine layer of the clear coat or paint, thus it may get rid of scratches, swirls and other imperfections. A wax is protection that you put on top of your paint (or your choice of other products such as synthetics). It`s like adding an extra layer of skin to the vehicle. That way, you can fix blemishes when they appear easier and it will preserve your actual paint.

Good luck and see you around.