PDA

View Full Version : Quick clearcoat question

dpreuss
06-13-2004, 12:33 AM
Well, I got done with my detail, but I noticed when i got done with my roof, my pad was a dark grey color (my car is a 99` Grand Prix GT, silvermist in color). This only happened on the roof and I was wondering how you know if you polished through your clearcoat. This is the first time to my knowledge that the car has been polished. I went over it with 1zUPP and a yellow pad as much as 2 times, and followed up with 1zPP and 1zMPP. The area in question has an excellent shine to it, so I think that the color came from when I hit some of my sunroof trim. What do you guys think????

PakShak
06-13-2004, 12:46 AM
Hi dpreuss,

I`m sorry to say it but I think you went through your clear. Just kidding...I think it could be mixture of two things the 1zUPP drying up on yellow pad and agree you could have picked up some of the color from your sunroof trim.

I`m shocked that you didn`t tape up your trim? :D

With Aloha,

Ranney :)

Accumulator
06-13-2004, 11:45 AM
Yeah, it`s almost certainly transfer from the sunroof or something else like that. If you had cut through the clear (which is pretty hard to do by PC/yellow/UPx2) the roof wouldn`t look good by any means.

I use the 1Z polishes extensively, and even with a rotary, it`d take a lot more than what you did to compromise the clearcoat, even on a five year old car.

Oh, and one of the nice things about 1Z polishes is that you often don`t *really* need to mask things off (sometimes I do, sometimes I don`t). If you don`t get a nasty white residue, then you`re fine.

dpreuss
06-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Thanks for your help guys! I`ll be sure to post pics as soon as it quits raining.