PDA

View Full Version : Newbie using Klasse

balty6969
06-12-2004, 11:00 PM
I am the autopia`s newest member, and I spent hours reading past posts, and I LOVE this website, I am so glad I have found it!!!.

I consider myself a casual detailer, but don`t mind spending an entire day detailing my car. I have a 01` PT Cruiser, and it`s a show car, but it`s also a daily driver. Ever since I have gotten it from the dealer, they messed it up doing their "detailing" before I picked up my car, and it`s been like that ever since. Swirlmarks EVERYWHERE. Also to add, I like the wet look of paint.

So tonight I decided to order All in One, and SG. I also ordered Souveran as well. I know I need to claybar the car before anything. But as for the swirls, they are everywhere, and I don`t have a PC. I have Meguairs #9 swirl remover laying around somewhere, as well as 3M`s swirl remover. Will I acheive good results with either of those products by hand before using AIO?.

Regardless, I know I need to claybar, and I know I need to use #9 or 3M to get rid of the swirls. Now i`m assuming it`s time for one layer of AIO. I heard I only need one coat, and to let it dry overnight, is that true?. After that, I am assuming I need to use SG. How many layers of SG is the rule of thumb?, and is there a need to let it cure in-between layers?.. if so, how long?. Then do I top it off with Souveran?. From what I read, some people are saying yes, some are saying no.

Here is the other question, I have vinyl color changing flames on my car, should I try to wipe around those with the AIO?. I am afraid it might do something with the vinyl. I am sure SG won`t hurt the vinyl at all.

And last question, can I apply AIO and SG to my chrome rims?. Both the AIO and SG, or just one or the other?

Sorry about the questions, but I figured i`d just do it all at once lol

Again guys, love the forum. I found my new "home" :D

LOTA OT
06-12-2004, 11:16 PM
Depending on how severe your swirls are, #9 or 3m SMR may or may not be sufficient. Assuming you get the paint properly prepped, a single coat of AIO should be sufficient, though some recommend 2 coats (to ensure full coverage). I use a PC with a polishing pad, but if doing it by hand, I like to use a terry or foam app, moistened with a Sonus (or other QD that does not contain wax). Apply it to one panel and then buff off with a clean MF. There is no need to wait for AIO to cure, you can move straight to whatever topper you decide.

If you decide to use SG as a topper, I use a dry terry app and put a very thin layer over the entire car. Very thin is the key as it will be much easier to remove later. I let it sit (cure) for 1 hour, but some here have had success with the wipe on wipe off method. After 1 hour, I use one damp MF moistened with plain water to wipe down a panel, followed by a dry MF for the final buff. Using this method, I`ve never had a problem removing SG.

General consensus is that 3 coats of SG is optimal, definitely get at least 2 coats on there though. Allow 24 hours (give or take) between coats of SG without applying any sort of wax or other QD`s containing wax that might cause problems with the subsequent layers of SG bonding.

As for the Wheels, you can definitely apply either AIO alone or AIO followed by SG, though I wouldn`t apply SG on its own.

I don`t know about the vinyl graphics, hopefully some others can respond. I do have some clear film applied to parts of my car and have not had any problem using the twins over the last year or so.

Michael

imported_Yosemite Dan
06-12-2004, 11:25 PM
With AIO, there`s no need to let it dry, wipe on and off and you can apply SG right after. With SG the minimum curing time between layers is 24 hours but I usually wait a week. Normally 2 or 3 layers of SG should be enough before a wax topper. Then wait at least 24 hours after last coat of SG (again I would wait a week to be safe) for Souveran. SG will give you a reflective mirror look that looks like it`s dipped in salad oil which I like so I don`t bother with Carnauba. A carnauba will give you a deeper, richer shine that is also wet.

With the vinyl Klasse should be safe as they are good for plastic trim, windows etc without staining so I wouldn`t foresee a problem as long as it`s a non-porous surface. For chrome rims both would be good as AIO would clean them and SG would be more of a pure sealant which is effective for any rims as they can withstand much higher temperatures than a wax on there.

Accumulator
06-13-2004, 11:36 AM
balty6969- Welcome to Autopia!

You`d better get something a bit stronger to deal with the swirls. 3M`s PI-III Mg (pn 05937) works well and you can do it by hand if you take your time. It works well before AIO. IMO most people underestimate how hard it is to remove marring, so be prepared to work at this for a while.

I`d be careful using the AIO on your vinyl graphics. I think *I* would use it on them maybe once a year, but *VERY* gently, with hardly any rubbing at all. Just barely touch them as carefully as you can. You don`t want to compromise the top film of the graphic. Then get the SG on them for protection. If you keep them clean enough, you shouldn`t have to use AIO on them very often (hardly ever), but sometimes you do have to clean them. You might try claying them *VERY* gently too. I find that once I have plenty of SG on a surface, I can clean the SG with clay without going through the SG.

Sometimes the Souveran topper makes a huge difference, other times it doesn`t. Depends on the individual vehicle. You`ll just have to see.

Yeah, you can use both AIO and SG on your wheels. The SG will last longer and hold up better to wheel cleaners.