PDA

View Full Version : First time with Zaino

Paul_BB_Guy
06-12-2004, 10:28 PM
Hi guys,

Please work with me. I`m a newbie. :)

Well I put Zaino on for the first time today.

1 - I washed the car with Dawn

2 - I claybarred with the Zaino Claybar and a mix of water and Z7 (16 oz:1/2 cap of Z7) for lubricant.

3 - I applied One Layer of Z5 with ZFX accellerator.

4 - Buffed it off with a DF concours towel.

A few observations:

- After claybarring I found a lot of paint "defects" that I had never noticed before. I`m not sure if it`s the claybar that exposed it or if it was something I just didn`t notice because I didn`t look so closely.

- Z5 doesn`t really Haze over that much. I`m used to the ultra white powder haze and Zaino didn`t do that (I`m not complaining mind you, just an observation).

- Z5 doesn`t really remove swirls and defects as much as I hoped. Maybe it will after a few more layers.

A few questions:

1: My next step is to use Meguiars Quick Detail on the car and then follow that with another coat of Z5, then Meguiars, then Z5, etc. until there are no more swirls. At that point I`ll follow with a few coats of Z2 followed by QD, Z2, QD, etc. Is this a good approach?

2: Should I apply Z5 a little thicker on the places where I see defects/swirls?

3: How will my life be made easier by a PC 7424?

4: What`s the best lighting to use in the Garage? Right now I`ve got two incandescent bulbs (this is a new house and it`s what the builders put in by default).

Sorry for all the questions folks.. I just wanted to get it all in there.

THANKS!

General Lee
06-12-2004, 10:39 PM
Z-5 does not remove swirls like it says it does, so don`t look forward to that. If they bother you polish them out then do your Zaino process.

You should wash with Z-7 in between coats of Zaino. Don`t apply Zaino to thick, thin is better. You will experience streaking if it is to thick. I don`t see a promblem QD`ing with Meg. for touching up between washes but not between coats.

Zaino`s shine gets better w/ multiple coats, and yes a PC will make things easier. I am no Zaino expert but I have been using it and this is what I learned so far. Hope this helps. Also visit Zaino`s website they actually would like you to add more steps to the process then just Z-5, so see what you think. www.Zainobros.com

Matt M, PA
06-12-2004, 10:49 PM
I have been using Zaino for years, and have found the Z5 swirl filling ability to not be exactly magical. I have seen some improvement, but not as though the finish had been polished with a more aggresive polish.

I find a PC more agg than it`s worth for applying Zaino.

Also, light coats are the key. When applying any wax, thicker coats only result in buffing more of teh product off. Each newly applied coat will only be so thick..regardless or how heavily you apply it.

I do use the Zaino Gloss Enhancer between coats, but unless the car has been driven, there`s no reason to re-wash between coats.

I also spritz the applicator with the Zaino GLoss Enhancer...it helps a ton for making the polish easier to apply.

Finally, check your work in the sun. You will see defects under lights that will be very hard to see in the daylight.

Paul_BB_Guy
06-12-2004, 11:19 PM
Thanks guys.

I don`t actually have the Zaino Gloss Enhancer so I`m going to use Meguiars QD between coats. ;)

Does it make sense to keep putting Z5 on until the swirls get better or should I go z5/z2/z5/z2 ?

04BlackAV
06-13-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Paul_BB_Guy

Does it make sense to keep putting Z5 on until the swirls get better or should I go z5/z2/z5/z2 ?

Your swirls will never go away or get better just using Zaino.Zaino itself helps enhance the swirls and scratches even with Z5.As was said before your best bet is to get some polish and remove the swirls before using Zaino.

lflorack
06-13-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Paul_BB_Guy

Thanks guys.

I don`t actually have the Zaino Gloss Enhancer so I`m going to use Meguiars QD between coats. ;)

I wouldn`t use Meg`s QD between Zaino coats. When I sent an email to Sal at Zaino`s to ask about using Meg`s QD with Zaino, here`s the response I got:

No!!!!. Please Do not put any other detailer on top of Zaino.

Zaino Show Car Polish is 99.9% optically perfect. Do not put anything on top of Zaino except Zaino. That would defeat the whole purpose of my product.

Z-6 and Meguiars detailer are two completely different products.....

Stay away from other brand Quick detailers. They are not compatible with Zaino. Most of these product are just water, propanol and silicone oil, they will leave a film on Zaino and detract from the optical clarity.

They will also make your car more prone to dust pickup. Plus the dust will stick to your paint finish. Dust sticking to paint = Swirl Marks & fine scratches.

Z-6 "Gloss Enhancer" spray was designed for use over Show Car polish. It will bond to Show Car polish and increase gloss, light reflectivety, durability and provide the antistatic effect.

Z-6 can be used immediately after removing Z-2 or Z-5 polish for an extra Gloss Boost. Or you can use Z-6 right before you apply your next coat of polish. Most of my customers use Z-6 right after the polish removal and then before they apply the next coat of polish, to remove any light dust. Either way is up to you. Z-6 is also a great quick detailer between car washes, to remove light dust and soil, bug dropping and any water spots.

Z-6 really helps give a three dimensional look. Its antistatic formula will reduce dust and dirt pickup by 60%. Use Z-6 very sparingly, less than one ounce will do your whole car. Very lightly mist only the center of a 1 foot square section on the car. Immediately buff with a 100% cotton towel until dry.

You will feel the surface get slicker and slicker. Turn towel

frequently. Repeat on next section until entire car is finished. Do

not let Z-6 dry on car. If Z-6 drys by itself just reapply Z-6 to affected area and rebuff until completely dry. Then get the sunglasses out.

04BlackAV
06-13-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by lflorack

Z-6 really helps give a three dimensional look. Its antistatic formula will reduce dust and dirt pickup by 60%.

That`s a good one,I`ve used Z6 on the Zaino on my AV and #34 over the NXT/#16 also on my AV.And you know what,the dust and pollen stick on each quite well.I can`t say that there`s 60% less dust on the Z6 QDed parts.