PDA

View Full Version : Base coat, Clearcoat, app. problem please Help!

AZ Ferrari Man
10-10-2004, 06:20 AM
Hey guys, I have a detail monday, it is a 1985 Toyota Supra. The paint is in good shape but I no that it does not have a clear coat (I am assuming due to its age) I have read that I can test this by using a cleaner wax on an area, and if the paint color is showing up on my pad than it is a base coat paint. My question is this, say it is a base coat paint, will the same products work as if on a clearcoat? Is there different techniques that need to be utilized to achieve the goal. I have PB SSR2 and 2.5, EX, Nattys. I have AIO and misc. meguiars products, all polishes SSR`s would be applied via PC 7424 and LSP by hand, any help would be nice on how to solve this problem with appilcation. If this has been asked before sorry, I couldn`t find it in the archives, so if there is a thread I would like to directed to it.

Andrew

Poorboy
10-10-2004, 06:29 AM
Andrew it definitely does not have a clearcoat on it. It`s single stage paint and your pads will be getting very dirty. I would suggest starting with a chemical cleaner , something like your AIO will work to clean and deoxidize the surface. After the paint has been cleaned you can decide how aggressive a swirl remover / polish you will need. Yes all the product you mentioned can be used on the paint as well as clearcoats. Good luck and take some pictures;)

Don
10-10-2004, 07:59 AM
Andrew it definitely does not have a clearcoat on it. It`s single stage paint and your pads will be getting very dirty. I would suggest starting with a chemical cleaner , something like your AIO will work to clean and deoxidize the surface. After the paint has been cleaned you can decide how aggressive a swirl remover / polish you will need. Yes all the product you mentioned can be used on the paint as well as clearcoats. Good luck and take some pictures;)

I agree with Steve, the first pass with the buffer will get your pads EXTREMELY dirty and clogged. A chemical cleaner will be more than enough to get off "the big stuff" and show you what you`re going to be working with. I would suggest changing your pads more frequently than you usually do during this first buffing because of the large amount of "gunk" you`re going to get

AZ Ferrari Man
10-10-2004, 04:13 PM
Thanks alot, I will let you know monday-tuesday on the results! I think I am going to clay, AIO, SSR1, EX-P. Let me know how this sounds!

Andrew

Poorboy
10-10-2004, 04:44 PM
Sounds good, just pick your SSR by what you see after the AIO;)

AZ Ferrari Man
10-10-2004, 09:04 PM
on clearcoats as well do you suggest using a chemical cleaner first to remove the big stuff before using the SSR`s?

Andrew

Don
10-11-2004, 04:26 AM
on clearcoats as well do you suggest using a chemical cleaner first to remove the big stuff before using the SSR`s?

Andrew

I do sometimes, that way you clean up the paint without adding new srctaches/swirls and get to see what`s really under all the gunk.