PDA

View Full Version : repaint single stage re, and swirls/cobwebs

chip douglas
06-12-2004, 10:04 AM
Hey all,

I`m somewhat disapointed to say I`ve tried to remove swirls/cobwebs from my girlfriend`s car to no avail....now I`m looking for suggestion, as my patience is running thin, although I won`t surrender :D

I`ve clayed the car, washed thoroughly, used Meg`s 6 1/2 `` polishing pad + #83 DACP, which appear to have introduced more marring, but not totally sure. Then I`ve tried #82 with finishing pad.....by the way I`m using a rotary buffer. The car has LOTS of orange peel also, so much so that reflection is a bit distorted holding still and looking at at the reflection on the hood for instance. Maybe because of the orange peel, I won`t be able to remove swirls.

Any suggestions, as Im running out of idea, really. Also the paint appears to be soft, so too rough of an abrasive will further mar the finish, or so it seems. Of course the ultimate solution would be to level the paint down with wet sanding, and then attempt to remve them swirls. but I`m not doing the wet sanding as I ve no experience with that.

I`d really appreciate suggestions.

Thanks

Accumulator
06-12-2004, 12:01 PM
Chip Douglas- The big thing with DACP is to work it until it`s turned to powder. Mike Phillips gets a nearly ready-to-wax finish using it with a rotary and a cutting pad, so I wonder if you`re working it long enough.

You don`t need to remove the orangepeel to be able to remove the marring. Some of our vehicles have pretty bad orangepeel, but I can still get the swirls, etc. out.

Maybe try doing some work with the cutting pad, working the DACP until it`s gone. Or just try other products (I`d probably still use a cutting pad, though). Some stuff just isn`t everyone`s cup of tea. I, for instance, always seem to get my best results with 3M`s PI-III stuff and 1Z, so I no longer try to make certain "popular products" work for me. In my case, it paid to try different things until I found products I can consistently get good results with.

With Meg`s, 3M, 1Z, Poorboy`s, and Menzerna (just to name a few), there are a *lot* of good polish lines on the market, all subtly different.