PDA

View Full Version : talked to fellow detailer....and made me pist!!

Pages : [1] 2

imported_ajbarnes
06-12-2004, 06:45 AM
You know, just when you think you heard of it all, you hear some sick stuff like this....

I spoke with a fellow detailer recently about trends, products, prices, services, etc. Obviously he cares more about money than he does quality. He tells me that on his highest priced $150 full details, he only uses spray wax on the exterior as the wax....and that`s it!! He occasionally charges less at certain areas like office buildings, etc., and what he would do to up sell them is to offer "paste wax" as a much more better wax than the spray wax! No polishing, no seal, no prep, just washed and "waxed". For the interior, he mixes up this solution with about 5 different products or something into a bucket of water, and uses that solution to clean the ENTIRE interior with it...I`m talking dashboards, console, leather, carpets, upholstery, trim, door jambs, etc. I`ve actually seen him do this! How does it look when he`s done? Like CRAP! The funny part is after he flew through the inside of the vehicle with this solution, he stops and turn around and look at me like saying ...."Look at that....ain`t I great!", my only thought was how I was going to refrain from slapping the bejezus out of him for disgracing this industry!!

Then, he had the audacity to tell me I`m losing money because of the wide array of high quality products I use, and the fact it takes me 2-4 hours (which is very quick in our business). Want to know how long it takes him to do a full detail? 30min. - 1 hour!!! He has about 4 employees working for him and he sends them out to office buildings doing several of these so called details and it makes me feel real bad for the customer`s because they don`t know they are being had. The biggest way he get`s away with it, is the fact he has pressure washers, powerful commercial products, etc. which aides him in making a vehicle "look" like it was detailed or should I say cleaned, and all in a matter of a short period of time.

I think that is so wrong, and for a company to stoop that low to make a quick buck is disgusting.

Sorry for the rant, but I had to tell somebody...might as well be those who really care about quality, customer satisfaction, and TRUE DETAILING!

ncal
06-12-2004, 09:02 AM
Maybe you need to have `someone` distribute brochures to his clients about the importance of choosing a good detailer- what you should get for what you pay. Don`t have an advertisement for any service but just allude to his poor quality ha ha

On a serious note that is horrible but I believe it. The biggest challenge to detailers is that we are limited to a market base because the majority of people feel a full detail just means spraying the car down and throwing wax on top of it.

37buckeye
06-12-2004, 09:31 AM
It always saddens me to hear that people take shortcuts in their jobs. When I first joined Autopia, I used several non-Autopian detailers to detail my vehicle. Most of them finished the job in less than an hour. Afterwards I found scratches on the wheels and in the instrument cluster.

Since then, I`ve done all detailing myself. It is a great way to spend the day and helps me wind down from the week. If I was to choose a detailer in the future, it would be an Autopia one.

imported_Intel486
06-12-2004, 06:34 PM
With this business you`ll always find people like that.

You`ll also always find customers who want to go with the cheaper guy just because they don`t know better. Some people are also loyal to their detailers and don`t want to move to someone else. Just want to stick with the same guy.

I had this problem a few times trying to get business from a couple people who were getting their vehicles washed weekly really cheap. Talking $10 - $13 for a wash.

detailbarn
06-12-2004, 07:51 PM
aj I feel your pain , I have had many of run in`s with so called detailers like this. What really burns me is the so-called high end dealers who do this. Recently a new luxury and exotic car dealer opend up in my area and instead of spending the time to detail his inventory he has a crew come in and power wash the cars down and then hand wash them with soap and a sponge. That`s it no polishing or waxing. And when I say high-end cars I`m talking 911`s , G-Wagens , a couple of Avante`s and alot of other really nice automoibiles. It`s a shame to see such cars ruined like this but when the topic of proper detailing comes up with the owner it`s called a waste of time and money becasue that`s just $200 less he`ll make on the car. Ah the pains of our industry , hopefully it will get better over time...

foris2
06-12-2004, 08:05 PM
AJ, it`s ashame that guy even calls himself a detailer. One day sooner or later it will catch up with him - hopefully sooner than later.

imported_Terry
06-12-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by foris2

AJ, it`s ashame that guy even calls himself a detailer. One day sooner or later it will catch up with him - hopefully sooner than later. No doubt about it.

imported_garyo
06-13-2004, 02:54 PM
Interesting story. Unfortunately I think it is very common. The professionals on this board seem to be the exception instead of the rule. Of the professional detailers in my town I would say a very large percentage of them are as you described. Almost none "polish" and/or clay prior to "waxing". A detail here is a good wash and then a coat of some type of "wax" with dressing applied to tires and interior. Countless fellow employees have shown me their freshly "detailed" car and the only thing I can think of is "You paid $120 for that!!!!" Of course I smile and say it looks nice. I have learned if I asked what was done they have no clue. This unfortunately underscores the problem. Many of the "clients" don`t know what a good detail should look like.

DaGonz
06-13-2004, 03:35 PM
I recently detailed a black 2002 BMW 530i that has been done by a "professional" detailer in town....

The genrtleman saw me working in the yard and asked me if I could take a look at the car.

The swirling was so bad you could see the holographic marks from 40 feet away under a layer of dust and pollen. It appears that the "detailer" buffed the car with a coarse wool cutting pad and then waxed over the swirls ( there was buffing residue in all of the crevices, on the rubber seals, on the tires, etc.)

The client was charged $150 by the professional dealer for a complete interior and exterior detailing. The "pro" spilled something on the passenger side floor mat and could not get it out, so he offered the client a new floor mat... a generic brand that he bought at Wal-Mart that didn`t even come close to matching the color of the original!

He dropped the car off on a Sunday afternoon. I vacuumed the interior, used my extractor and removed the the stains on the floor mat with no problem whatsoever. After detailing the interior, I washed and clayed the car, then put it in my garage and started it first thing Monday morning.

I buffed the swirls out using DACP and my Makita rotary with a 3M foam pad, followed by DACP and my PC with a yellow pad, Meguiar`s #9 with a white pad, then two coats of NXT follwed by a topper of S100.

When I dropped the car off at his home, he said that I brought him the wrong car... that was not the one he dropped of the afternoon before!

Another happy customer... He has two more vehicles for me to detail for him!

imported_Terry
06-13-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Gonzo0903

I recently detailed a black 2002 BMW 530i that has been done by a "professional" detailer in town....

The genrtleman saw me working in the yard and asked me if I could take a look at the car.

The swirling was so bad you could see the holographic marks from 40 feet away under a layer of dust and pollen. It appears that the "detailer" buffed the car with a coarse wool cutting pad and then waxed over the swirls ( there was buffing residue in all of the crevices, on the rubber seals, on the tires, etc.)

The client was charged $150 by the professional dealer for a complete interior and exterior detailing. The "pro" spilled something on the passenger side floor mat and could not get it out, so he offered the client a new floor mat... a generic brand that he bought at Wal-Mart that didn`t even come close to matching the color of the original!

He dropped the car off on a Sunday afternoon. I vacuumed the interior, used my extractor and removed the the stains on the floor mat with no problem whatsoever. After detailing the interior, I washed and clayed the car, then put it in my garage and started it first thing Monday morning.

I buffed the swirls out using DACP and my Makita rotary with a 3M foam pad, followed by DACP and my PC with a yellow pad, Meguiar`s #9 with a white pad, then two coats of NXT follwed by a topper of S100.

When I dropped the car off at his home, he said that I brought him the wrong car... that was not the one he dropped of the afternoon before!

Another happy customer... He has two more vehicles for me to detail for him! Now here`s a real pro:bow Gonzo`s work speaks for him......Great addition to this thread.

Scottwax
06-13-2004, 11:28 PM
Hackers irritate me too. They give us all a bad name and not only do they do substandard work, they often charge a bargain basement price so when you give the customer your price they think you are overcharging them.

There is a detail shop near me that almost never has cars in its bays when I drive by and their name has changed 3 times in the past 6 years.

stilez
06-14-2004, 07:49 AM
This is "Oh too common" where I am too. Sometimes I have hard times booking business because these detailers are doing it soo cheap.

I think my prices are fair for the amount of work I do and the amount of knowledge I have obtained mostly from here, but a couple other places as well.

The newest thing I have heard of is using Glass Cleaner (Windex) and a paper towel for all plastic, rubber, vinyl, and LEATHER cleaning. While thinking they are getting the dirt out, it`s really the dye in the material. I even talked to a guy who used to "detail" for 10-12 years and he said he does that...Now he wants his car`s done by me...hmmm

All in all, it can be very discouraging and aggrivating. I just stick to my prices and use their poor workmanship to my advantage. Without talking down the competition, make yourself sound more stellar by pointing out things you do (like clay, polish, then wax/seal) compared to your competition. That is LEGAL.

Good Luck and don`t get too discouraged.

PS - Did I mention these people are usually very arrogant and think VERY highly of their work?

thinksnow
06-14-2004, 12:58 PM
AJ!!! That guy must have a hizzle of a commute because he works in my office park, too.

Guess what pad he uses on the PC? THE ORIGINAL PAD. (read: never changes the pad) At the very least, he throws a layer of non-descript cleaner wax on the cars, but the tires are always shinier than the paint. My workmates use him because of his 1 hour service and $30 pricetag. Wheelwells are left filthy, and micromarring is significantly higher on two vehicles I have been watching since starting here (dark blue TL and red Boxter).

I`m not willing to drop to $30 or even $50 just to get a little business from the office:D

jerry@robs
06-14-2004, 07:03 PM
Oh that`s so common here in Manila as well, when I visit our "competitors", it`s amazing to see that as a shop, they only have like 2-3 pads for all tasks from compounding to polishing to wax removal (they like using rotaries here). The Meg (most common) pads are used till they`re like 1/4 of an inch thick (from its original 1.25" thickness)...

We use 3 pads for glass, 3 pads for compounding, 3 pads for polishing, separate pads for RO waxing and we change our polishing and finishing pads to new ones every 3 months.

Auto Care USA
06-14-2004, 07:49 PM
This has been going on for years. I refer to these guys as backyard detailers. Don`t worry about him because he will not be around long. For whatever you give out in life you get back. This is one of the reasons I am able to get top dollar, people like this who do it for the money. One of my sayings for years has been "Do what you love , and love what you do, but never ever do it for the money. These words of wisdom will literally drop money in your pocket like you have never seen before.