PDA

View Full Version : Why not layer carnaubas?

Pages : [1] 2

3Wheeler
06-11-2004, 03:13 AM
Some people don`t believe in layering carnaubas. For example, see NozeBleedSpeed and tguil`s posts in this thread:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38954

I`ve seen others saying similar things. What I don`t get is why? :confused:

I put on a first layer of s100 yesterday, and a second layer today. There was a big difference: the second coat added shine, depth, and wetness. I`m sure even a non-Autopian could see the difference. It may not be night and day, but it`s certainly twilight and day.;) The car looks unbelievable -- I think I`m going to sleep in it tonight.

Anyway, I don`t understand why some people don`t like layering carnaubas, when the results are so spectacular.

6cyl's_of_fury
06-11-2004, 03:21 AM
Well essential the school of thought is that they DONT layer, thus it is wasted wax. The ability of the wax layer to sustain another layer is questionable, plus the shear action of applying the wax removes the underlying layer ( IMO )

People do 2 layers predominantly to ensure 100% coverage more than anything, not to build up layer thickness....

3Wheeler
06-11-2004, 03:46 AM
Hey 6cyl`s, thanks for answering.

Unfortunately, now I`m even more confused (I`m getting used to that, though, being a newbie on this board;) ). If I understand you correctly, the second layer shouldn`t have made the car look that much better.......but I`m sure it did! My imagination just isn`t that powerful.

You say "the school of thought." Perhaps there`s more than one school of thought? Eg., it`s my understanding that some show cars have an unbelievable number of wax layers on them -- there must be some purpose to that. The show cars I`ve seen look out of this world.

Anyway, another day, another issue. I`ve still got more questions than answers, and I`ve been reading a lot. <sigh>

roadman
06-11-2004, 06:09 AM
I layer it, and it does make a difference. I saw an add for Trade Secret, I don`t use it but they are talking about layering 8 and 12 times.

http://www.topoftheline.com/toltradcarwa.html

smoky14
06-11-2004, 07:00 AM
If you can`t layer wax, how does a spit shine work??

hrspwr00v6
06-11-2004, 08:17 AM
in order for you to beable to layer a carnauba, it has to be pure carnauba with very little solvent content such as Pinnacle Souveran, and the `pink` wax. those waxes can be layered, and the pink wax is supposedly really good for the spit shine method.

vapore0n
06-11-2004, 09:09 AM
I also used layered wax with great results. I applied like once a week and the car was a garage queen. The wax coat was so thick that I couldnt scratch the paint. Someone did try it on me though, and I jut wiped the scratch off with some more wax. I also would have a hard time getting the car cover on. I would trow it on top of the car and it would slide off. The car was a 1987 Chevrolet Celebrity, white.

So if you feel that its getting smoother and shinier and more easier to clean, then its layering.

Accumulator
06-11-2004, 11:22 AM
This layering carnaubas thing is just one of those topics where we won`t ever get everyone to agree.

I *do* believe you can layer certain waxes by using certain methods. I`ve had the "wax buildup on a spotless garage queen" to prove it. I`ve had my "multiple coats" panel keep beading much longer than my "one coat" panel. And yeah, I can often see an improvement after additional applications.

But if other people don`t want to believe you can layer it, that`s cool with me.

Oh, and as I understand it, the spit-shine method works because of the "spit". The water keeps the additional wax from doing a solvent-action thing to the existing wax.

ALAN81
06-11-2004, 03:01 PM
2 coats of wax that is it for me ...going over the 2nd time where I missed the first.Some people put on 8-10 coats of wax thats fine its there car.In my opinion waxing a car once a week is not layering its waxing a car once a week!

boostdfd3s
06-11-2004, 05:11 PM
nebody want to explain the spitshine method to me? Sounds like u apply one coat, wet it, and apply a 2nd or am i way off?

-Zach

3Wheeler
06-11-2004, 05:42 PM
Here ya go, boost! :) http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38121&highlight

At first glance, looks like plenty of elbow grease involved. I wonder if the technique actually began with saliva -- imagine doing a car! ;)

boostdfd3s
06-11-2004, 05:43 PM
:xyxthumbs

beastie
06-11-2004, 07:14 PM
I can definitely see a difference with a second coat of Souveran a couple of days apart, and for the better. I was using S100 over the winter and adding about a coat a week and that didn`t give me anything other than a newly waxed surface. Maybe an interval of only a couple of days, as opposed to a week, can make a difference.

Scottwax
06-11-2004, 07:30 PM
Like beastie, I notice a mild difference when applying another coat of paste wax a few days after the first. Whether they truly layer or not, I don`t know. I do think that you are adding additional oils into the paint and ensuring complete coverage with a second coat of wax.

Beyond 2 coats, I think you are just wasting product. Put on 2 coats and use the time you would spend `layering` on something else.

3Wheeler
06-14-2004, 02:40 PM
Hi Accumulator,

Your post says:

I *do* believe you can layer certain waxes by using certain methods. I`ve had the "wax buildup on a spotless garage queen" to prove it. I`ve had my "multiple coats" panel keep beading much longer than my "one coat" panel. And yeah, I can often see an improvement after additional applications.

It`d be great if you could give us some pointers about the waxes and methods you`re referring to.

Thanks!:)