PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Clay

CTDiesel
06-10-2004, 08:55 PM
What is the preferred detailing clay for a black clearcoat. I was ready to purchase the blue Clay Magic, then a friend told me Clay Magic will leave very fine scratches. Is there any truth to this comment? What is the safest clay to use, regardless of price?

Deanski
06-10-2004, 09:23 PM
Sure, any clay will scratch if you dropped it....

Never heard that one regarding Clay Magic.

David has some fine clay on his "SHOP" site which you should look into.

Bottom line, wear latex gloves when using clay to avoid pulling dirt/oils from your hand. Use a good lube and always clay wet!

Fold clay often and inspect it during use to see or feel any larger particles that pulled off on the clay. If so, grab another fresh one and continue. Clay is cheap, polishing a finish because of marks is no fun!

Just take your time, inspect often, etc.

Regards,

Deanski

gav'spurplez
06-10-2004, 09:30 PM
i have used the meguiars quik clay from murrays on black cars and other dark paints. no scratches here :xyxthumbs

JasonD
06-10-2004, 09:35 PM
I own four black clearcoat vehicles and have used Clay Magic on all of them and no scratches. I just received some of the new clay bars from the Autopia store as they are supposed to be even better than the clay magic. You can find both here: Autopia Store - Detailing Clay (http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?autopia+zvHcbu+inf-clay.html)

beastie
06-10-2004, 09:56 PM
I`ve used Clay Magic and Mother`s clays and no scratches from either. BTW, I prefer the Clay Magic package.