PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean these dirty seats???

Pages : [1] 2

sw20_og
06-10-2004, 06:00 PM
seats inside my sister`s VW Beetle

http://home.earthlink.net/~server_jr/data/Autopia/DCP_1572%20copy.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~server_jr/data/Autopia/DCP_1573%20copy.jpg

Previously, my sis attempted to clean these seats by squirting Oxy Clean onto them but that was it...never attempted to wipe off anything. It made them 10 times worse. What`s the best way to attack the dirt so I can make them look brand new?

Thanks

ZaneO
06-10-2004, 06:17 PM
You might try a woolite solution 6:1 and a soft bristled brush.

sw20_og
06-10-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by BlackRegal

Is the velour fabric or brushed/suede leather?

velour fabric I think. I`m not really sure what velour is:nixweiss

dcswd
06-10-2004, 06:34 PM
1 method... spray Carpet cleaner/diluted APC/Woolite solution on the seats, brush them around, and then wipe them dry with a towel... thats the important part. Repeat untill the seats are clean.

If you have a wet dry vac, you can spray the cleaner on the seats, brush it around, and vac it up, then spray lots of water on it and vac that up. This will be more of a "deep" clean. Both ways will work though.

As far as the actual cleaner goes, just try something that was reccomended on here.

ZaneO
06-10-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by dcswd

1 method... spray Carpet cleaner/diluted APC/Woolite solution on the seats, brush them around, and then wipe them dry with a towel... thats the important part. Repeat untill the seats are clean.

If you have a wet dry vac, you can spray the cleaner on the seats, brush it around, and vac it up, then spray lots of water on it and vac that up. This will be more of a "deep" clean. Both ways will work though.

As far as the actual cleaner goes, just try something that was reccomended on here.

This method should work well.

sw20_og
06-10-2004, 07:26 PM
thanks guys I`ll try that technique and post some after results.

jerry@robs
06-10-2004, 09:48 PM
Before getting it wet, beat the hell out of the seats while vacuuming. If you dont do this beforehand and start getting it wet, the dirt will settle into the fabric even more.

Deanski
06-10-2004, 10:01 PM
Seats this bad need to be removed from the vehicle to really get them clean. It`s not that hard on most non-powered seats!

On fabric type seats I`ve used hot extractors on these which work very well with the right cleaner in it. If you`re such a nice brother, take them to a shop and have them extracted since you may not have one. Then take the credit! Helps Xmas time you know!

If you want to do them yourself, start with mild stuff like the Woolite 6:1. You may be surprised on how well it works. Then, work up to a more aggressive chemical cleaner as you don`t want to pull the dye out so be careful!

Regards,

Deanski

imported_Larry A
06-11-2004, 09:02 AM
Try a strong solution of ammonia and water, that always worked for me.

imported_Sullybob
06-11-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by lawrencea

Try a strong solution of ammonia and water, that always worked for me.

Does the ammonia leave a smell in the seats or should you rinse it with fresh water?

imported_Larry A
06-11-2004, 01:47 PM
The smell of Ammonia goes away. When the seats dry they will have a clean and fresh smell.

sw20_og
06-11-2004, 01:51 PM
what water to ammonia ratio should I try?

imported_Larry A
06-11-2004, 01:55 PM
Some people on Autopia like Folex spot remover for cleaning the inside of cars. I dont know what the chemicals in folex are, but spray it and smell and what do you smell ? ( AMMONIA ). You dont have to rinse, after all ammonia is used on windows.

imported_Sullybob
06-11-2004, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the replies.

imported_Larry A
06-11-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by sw20_og

what water to ammonia ratio should I try? Im not sure I think ite 5 to 1. It will tell you on the bottle of ammonia. Make sure you have plenty of ventilatiom, as the smell will be strong. Dunk a terry towel in the solution wring out and start rubbing , wipe off with another dry towel. Since you are not soaking the seat it should dry faster.