PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about dark silver or grey

Jeff U
06-10-2004, 02:35 PM
Hi! Long-time lurker, but a first time poster on the new board. I`m in the market for a new SUV and the new Chevy Equinox has caught my eye. I`m wondering about the dark silver metallic paint color. How hard do you think it is to maintain? I`m adept at keeping swirls out of black paint, but with one black vehicle arleady (and a demanding 4 mo. old at home), I need something easier and less time consuming. Thoughts?

LOTA OT
06-10-2004, 02:42 PM
Silver and most grays hide all sorts of paint defects. My metallic gray VW Passat (silverstone gray) has a few swirls in it that I can only see if the sun hits it *just* right, thus I haven`t bothered taking them out just yet. Also normal dust and dirt doesn`t show up so badly in between washes. All in all, much easier to take care of than black.

That said, it can be tougher to get a really deep wet look on a silver or light gray color. Up to you.....

ZaneO
06-10-2004, 03:33 PM
One good thing about metallic paints is that the metallic flakes tend to disperse the light and swirls, etc. are not so noticable.

Accumulator
06-10-2004, 04:15 PM
Yeah, that`s a good choice for ease-of-maintenance :xyxthumbs Whole `nother world compared to black, and it sounds like you have enough to keep you busy as it is (I switched from black to silver/gray a long time ago, and it was like getting my life back).

With all the products available these days, it`s not too hard to really make such colors look great, either.

imported_Unreal
06-10-2004, 06:48 PM
I just recently (january) went from black to dark shadow grey metallic. I really like the new color but it isnt black. I wasted alot of money trying to do to much with the paint trying to get that depth/wetness as I did with black.

I have since learned to deal with the color and do to it what makes the color look good and try not to manipulate it . (well to much) ... lol

All in all after learning to accept the look of this color and haveing seen how easy it is to maintain and keep looking good I will probably not go back to black.

Jeff U
06-11-2004, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Looked at the vehicles again last night. Right now its a toss-up between grey, silver or white. Guess it depends on which one with the right options becomes available soonest.