PDA

View Full Version : Using a PC in small areas? (Spoilers, near windows, etc.)

motobuild
06-10-2004, 01:14 AM
Question-

So to remove swirls in small areas what`s the best method? I`ve read that when using a PC to polish it needs to be kept flat so polish won`t go every where. However, I am assuming that when I polish my spoiler, doors near the windows, and near the sunroof the Porter-Cable won`t be completley flat since these areas are smaller than the pad.

Should I do these areas by hand? Or what`s the best method? There`s a lot of micro-abrasions that I want to get rid of in these areas. Hell, the whole car is one giant micro-abrasion. ;)

Thanks!

6cyl's_of_fury
06-10-2004, 01:25 AM
If you cant get the PC to it, then get cracking on it by hand...

PakShak
06-10-2004, 01:26 AM
Hi Tusin,

:LOLOL

You could try using a 4" pad for the PC for the tigher areas. And any areas to small for a 4" pad then yes hand application is a must.

With Aloha,

Ranney :)

motobuild
06-10-2004, 02:07 AM
Thanks.

I knew it was a pretty dumb question...but I figured I would ask. I know that getting swirls and scratches are harder to get out by hand.

I`m a newb. ;)

PakShak
06-10-2004, 03:20 AM
Hi Tusin,

It wasn`t a dumb question. It was actually a smart question. The reason, I used the LOL smilie was because of this...

"Hell, the whole car is one giant micro-abrasion"

Thanks for the laugh.

With Aloha,

Krickerman
06-10-2004, 07:39 AM
there is a double sided pad with no backing plate that can help you get in smaller areas like under spoilers and stuff without hitting anything.

TortoiseAWD
06-10-2004, 07:47 AM
Tusin,

You can also get a 3.5" backing plate and 4" pads from the Autopia store (click "shop!" at the top of the page). The smaller size makes doing pillars, spoilers, and bumpers less of a hassle . . .

Tort

stevet
06-10-2004, 09:40 AM
I didn`t see these at the Autopia Store. They only had the bigger 5 inch plate and 6 inch pads.

PakShak
06-10-2004, 09:48 AM
For the 3.5" backing plate and 4" pads try the following reputable vendors that I know sells them.

www.properautocare.com

www.topoftheline.com

With Aloha,

TortoiseAWD
06-10-2004, 10:07 AM
My mistake; I thought I`d ordered mine from the Autopia store, but now I recall that the small backing plate and pads were a X-mas gift from my parents, and that I pointed them to CMA (properautocare.com) back then as a source.

Sorry for any confusion,

Tort

Accumulator
06-10-2004, 10:17 AM
I generally use *larger* pads, rather than smaller, to get into tight spots. For me, it`s usually the head of the polisher that gets in the way, so a larger pad lets me slip the pad into tight spots without bumping things with the head of the polisher. Also, with a larger pad you have options like using the edge of the pad (much easier than with a small pad). I do like the 4" pads for spot repairs, though.

Oh, and I too got my 3.5" flex backing plate from CMA.