PDA

View Full Version : pure cotton as applicator & buffing?

Reflector
06-09-2004, 06:44 PM
I did a quick search and couldnt find the answer to my question.

the majority of the people locally use pure cotton as an applicator and then also to remove the wax/polish.

Its sold as a bundle for very cheap, a bundle would cost around $1 and it would be good enough to detial the whole car probably 4-5 times.

is their any harm in using cotton?

medic159
06-10-2004, 08:02 AM
Usually not if it is truly 100% cotton. I would be suspect about a bundle for a buck. Do you really want to endanger your car`s finish to save a few dollars?

Bobby G
06-10-2004, 09:37 AM
One thing I can tell you for sure, a bundle of towels for $1 means the product is coming from Pakistan or India where the standards for "100% cotton" are not quite what we expect here in the States.

Not to side track too much, but I get a kick out finding out how off-shore businesses cut corners to reduce cost. I was speaking with a friend of mine yesterday who`s in the mf biz. I asked him how it is the CostCo towels (which are soft and plush) can be so cheap. He said it`s simple. They use a thick polyester (non microfiber) backing, like they use for bath toweling. We discussed further and I learned that the "cheap-n-cheerful" microfiber factories in China are importing recycled plastic to make mf yarn. Not sure how they do this, but I was floored.

Back to el-cheap-o cotton toweling... it`s full of junk fillers. It will scratch your paint. If you want to save money on towels, only to spend more money and time on polishing, well, I guess that`s one way of doing it.

6cyl's_of_fury
06-10-2004, 09:49 AM
the trade market for recycled plastics is huge David, even the LME ( London Metal Exchange ) is setting up a trading market for it!

And the old adage applies, you get what you pay for....