PDA

View Full Version : Never need AIO again if SG is applied often?

dxn
06-09-2004, 06:40 PM
I`m planning to us AIO and multiple layer of SG. As long as I continue to layer SG at regular interval say every 2 months then there is no need to go back to AIO again?

I read some where in the thread that it is recommended that AIO should be use twice a year.

imported_Elemental
06-09-2004, 06:47 PM
i think the thinking on this subject is, that no matter how many layers of sealant is built up, its best to break it down twice a year and build it back again.

dxn
06-09-2004, 06:53 PM
Why should we break it down when there is sufficient layer of SG for protection?

The only reason I can think of is the bonding breaks up at the interface of the paint and the AIO and that SG is ineffective at this junction. Only AIO can initiate the bond to the paint. But then I read somewhere else that the SG is the same as AIO without the cleaner.

Any insight?

imported_Intermezzo
06-09-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by dxn

I`m planning to us AIO and multiple layer of SG. As long as I continue to layer SG at regular interval say every 2 months then there is no need to go back to AIO again?

I read some where in the thread that it is recommended that AIO should be use twice a year.

Adding a layer of KSG every couple of months has little to do with whether or not you will have to strip everything down and start over. The important thing is how well you maintain your car. Keep in mind that although SG provides good protection, it`s not like you`ve clear-bra`d the entire car. SG will only *slow down* the inevitable paint damage that occurs on any car exposed to the elements.

If you baby it and pamper it so that it is hardly ever dirty for more than a day or two and is washed very frequently and is detailed SO CAREFULLY that you do not induce any marring from your detailing routine (almost impossible), then yeah, I would say that you can keep layering SG indefinitely. However, I would still recommend you spot clay the car periodically.

I think Accumulator does something similar to what I just described...can`t be sure though.

In my experience, I get a better shine from polishing or compounding my cars from time to time.

thom
06-09-2004, 07:19 PM
your paint surface is under attack from acid rain,gas fumes chemical particulents ozone,sun salt fog oh even TIME

foxtrapper
06-10-2004, 09:51 AM
In a perfect world, you`re right. Just keep reapplying SG and never redo.

This isn`t a perfect world however, and I strongly suspect you`re going to see less than stelar results from that approach as the last exposed layer will not be in pristine condition.

There is also the matter of porosity of SG. Don`t know what gets through (other then light), and what doesn`t, but I`ve yet to meet the material that was impervious to everything.

AIO is not identical to SG, with cleaners added. It does seem to carry the same protective coating material, but distinctly not in the same quantity. Klasse is quite cagey on this information.

Accumulator
06-10-2004, 10:26 AM
Yeah, it`s impossible to keep a (regularly driven) vehicle clean enough to *never* need something like AIO.

Intermezzo has a good memory- yeah, I can get by with spot-claying and layering SG (or any other LSP, really) for quite a few months. But whenever I *do* use a paint cleaner, I always clean off more dirt/contamination/something that one might`ve expected. It seems like the LSP itself gets too dirty to wash clean, or otherwise somehow gets degraded- rather than just clean the LSP with shampoo/clay/etc., eventually it pays to clean the LSP *off* and start fresh with clean paint.

imported_neoflex
06-10-2004, 12:17 PM
How about in my situation. My CTS gets driven about 5-600 miles a month. Back in March I did a full detail which included the Menza twins, AIO, SGx3 and S100/P21S, Since then I have been applying S100/P21S about every3-4 weeks. The car does sit outside but is covered with 2 car covers. Do you recommend I re-AIO every 6 months or do you think every year is sufficient. The paint is and stays immaculate. I know how anal I am so chances are I will get bored one day and bust out all the products in the next xouple months, but I was just curious to what everyone thought. I do find myself applying S100 on the front bumper cover more often to make bug removal easier.

beastie
06-10-2004, 01:04 PM
Every so often, I put a half capful of AIO in the wash. It kills the suds from EO soap. It seems to "exfoliate" the top few molecules of SG and gives a helping hand to the EO soap. Applying SG seems easier after such a wash.

togwt
06-10-2004, 01:28 PM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

The resin (paint) is porous, as is any ‘sealant’, microscopic dirt, road grime and brake dust will compromise your paints protection system. By constantly adding ‘layers’ you are covering the dirt over.

I had a client with a white Jag (a show car) mostly garage kept, that he drove very occasionally, and had x ‘layers’ of Klasse applied, which he added too at each car show. He wanted to enter it into a concourse and asked me to ‘strip-it and renew the Klasse polymer.

After washing, detailer’s clay (which turned almost jet black) I gave it a Klasse-wash (Schnell-alternate) and then preceded with AIO, I went through dozens of cotton towels, as they were all turning black. Mike Phillips alluded to something similar in a recent article on cars with white paint.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *