PDA

View Full Version : Apply sealant to brand new Bullitt rims? *Slight DUW*

RedStang
06-09-2004, 02:06 PM
I recently used the Wolfgang twins on my car, and I gotta say, I am very impressed. I plan on adding a second coat of the sealant, but had an idea for the new rims that I just bought and have yet to put on the car. Would it be alright to put a coat of the Wolfgang sealant on these rims before I have them installed? They are obviously clean and I figure now would be the best time to do this... but just thought I`d get some other opinions. I know I remember reading that applying some waxes isn`t so great because of the temperatures... but was just wondering if the Wolfgang sealant would be ok.

Here is a pic of the rims I`m talking about...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/Swoosh830/BullittsBox2.jpg

And here is a pic of my car after one coat of Wolfgang. :D

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/Swoosh830/Detail11_2.jpg

thinksnow
06-09-2004, 02:21 PM
...insert Wolfgang durability battles here...

You won`t have any problem applying WG on the rims, or Klasse, or Zaino. Wax will be affected more by the heat produced by the brakes. Some use Collinite Insulator Wax as it is made for higher temperatures. Bottom line--go ahead wit` `yo bad self.

BTW--GREAT pic of your car. Did you send that off to WG? I think it would push some product off the e-shelves:up

topnotchtouch
06-09-2004, 02:37 PM
I rotate my tires every 5K miles. While I have them off I usually give my Bullitt rims a fresh layer of Meguiars Medallion Premium Paint Protection. Does it last the whole 5K miles, I don`t know. I don`t usually have an issue with brake dust or road grime sticking to the rims so I am happy with it :D

I am looking at black bullitts myself. I am have been going back forth between 18x9/18x10 or 17x9/17x10.5. They are from www.wheelreplicas.com.

Here is a pic of the 18x9/18x10 combo on a Cobra someone posted over at www.modulardepot.com.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/2760new-med.jpg

Here is my GT with Meguiars NXT Tech Wax.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/2760sidenxt.jpg

EBPcivicsi
06-09-2004, 03:12 PM
Those wheels look great!

I just got a new set of wheels myself. I opted for AIO topped with meguiars #20.

I rotate every 3000 miles and reapply each time.

WAUD seems to do well on them after a wash too. Sort of a "booster" for the #20.

former86camaro
06-09-2004, 03:28 PM
I have used WG and Zaino Z2 on my rims. Both work IMO as well and do help make brake dust come off easier.

RedStang
06-09-2004, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. I will probably end up taking the WG twins to my rims tonight... guess it couldn`t hurt to use the PreWax Polish Enhancer on them first. :nixweiss

Spilchy
06-09-2004, 04:23 PM
Sick wheels! They`ll look killer replacing those stock ones :xyxthumbs

The WG won`t last.

I have recommended time and time and time and time and time again: COLLINITE INSULATOR WAX

This stuff is MEANT for applications like this and it`s industrial strength durability will withstand the heat generated by the brakes.

I first use Klasse AIO and top with the Insulator Wax. NOTHING comes close to matching it.

If you use it, wear rubber gloves just beacuse it reaks of gasoline and your fingers will stink. Plus, only use car wash soap to clean the wheels after application beacuse, as with anything else on your wheels, cleaners found in dedicated wheel cleaners WILL strip it off.

It applies like butter and buffs off like s100 when dried to a haze. I use it on my paint during the winter.

Here is what it is used for (and yes, it is meant for clear coated wheels)

This heavy duty liquid wax was originally developed for use by electric power companies for protection against high voltage power failure, fires and explosions. It`s primary use is on the finishes of automobiles, trucks, buses and airplanes where durability, high gloss and lasting protection are paramount. An excellent choice for fleet applications and very easy to use--requires minimum rubbing or buffing. Clear coat safe.

RedStang
06-09-2004, 08:43 PM
That Collinite stuff sounds like it`s pretty good, but unfortunately I may have to stick with what I`ve got for now. Unless I can find that stuff locally and it`s relatively cheap, WG will have to do. I plan on getting tires mounted and balanced and the rims installed early next week, so ordering it online isn`t good. However, I will definately keep this stuff in mind for a later time. On my (poor college student) budget, I wanted to see if the WG would do the job for now, so I wouldn`t have to buy a dedicated product for my rims. I do really appreciate all the input!

RedStang
06-09-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by rjstaaf

I am looking at black bullitts myself. I am have been going back forth between 18x9/18x10 or 17x9/17x10.5. They are from www.wheelreplicas.com.

I`m personally a fan of 17" rims... 18" do look good, but if I were ever buying rims of that width, I`d go with the 17s just because I don`t like excess weight and a possible rougher ride. I made it a point to get 8" wide rims for my measly V6... I don`t need 9" wide rims, and especially 10.5", no matter how nice they look from the back... I`m slow enough already. :( :p

hrspwr00v6
06-10-2004, 01:33 AM
eh, don`t be worried about being slow, you can always modify. Nitrous is your friend :evil:

topnotchtouch
06-10-2004, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by RedStang

I`m personally a fan of 17" rims... 18" do look good, but if I were ever buying rims of that width, I`d go with the 17s just because I don`t like excess weight and a possible rougher ride. I made it a point to get 8" wide rims for my measly V6... I don`t need 9" wide rims, and especially 10.5", no matter how nice they look from the back... I`m slow enough already. :( :p

The added unsprung weight of the 18s is one of the reasons I am still considering the 17s, that and the shorter sidewall of the 18s will make for a rougher ride. I just wish they made the 17s in a 17x10 because the 10.5 to me is just a tad too wide for the wheel wells. They were really designed to accomidate a 315 on the rear. I don`t really race though so the added unsprung weight of 18s is not a major concern but, still it is something to consider.

AdvonspaanDC5
06-10-2004, 07:24 AM
rjstaaf, great looking mustang.

NXT sure has a distinctive look IMO. all the cars that i see that has been NXT`d has a lot more vivid color to it, opposed to a hazy shine that results from some other products.

AdvonspaanDC5
06-10-2004, 07:26 AM
oh and another thing i like about your mustang is the rear black trunk panel thing. i think it`s a classy look. damn the more i look at those pictures, the more it makes me want to get a cobra in laser red. :D