PDA

View Full Version : The PC

imported_screemingtp
06-09-2004, 07:36 AM
I was detailing a Ram 1500 with my PC with DACP after some use I noticed that the machine started to get hot. Even to the point that I couldn`t hold it anymore. Has anyone ever experienced that when using it and if so what did you do to remedy this problem?

togwt
06-09-2004, 08:50 AM
How much pressure were you using on the PC, they don`t usually run `hot`.

Robb
06-09-2004, 10:33 AM
I was about to start a thread about this. When using my PC it does het pretty hot, not hot enough to handle, but pretty near. I was wondering why it does this, it cant be good for it. I thought that maybe the extension cord was to small causing it to overheat, but that isnt the problem, its 8 gauge. Im not sure, hopefully someone can chime in.

imported_screemingtp
06-09-2004, 11:38 AM
I applied just enough pressure to sense that the motor on the PC was bogging down. Maybe I am not using the right wording here, but I used the Mike Phillips technique where he said that to effectively use the PC, you have to apply some pressure to the PC until you hear the motor starting to bogg a little.

gav'spurplez
06-09-2004, 05:31 PM
i noticed that my pc at the gray handle part gets hot. i do not apply any pressure. just where the pad meets the surface. i try to give it a rest in between applications. i would assume it would get hotter with the more surface area that you have to cover. any machine will get hot when it is on for a long time :rolleyes:

jfelbab
06-09-2004, 05:50 PM
I`ve owned my PC since 1995 and I`ve done hundreds of cars with it. It never has gotten hot even after 8-10 hours of steady use. Either you are applying too much pressure or it is in need of service. How old is it and when was the last time you had it lubricated? The manual calls for annual lubrication, BTW.

imported_screemingtp
06-10-2004, 07:21 AM
I have had mine for about a year and a half now. When you say to grease it is their a port where I could grease it or do I have to take it apart?

jfelbab
06-10-2004, 07:41 AM
No port. It must be disassembled. There are some PDF`s on the Porter Cable site that show exploded images and all the part numbers. The manual suggests that you take it to an authorized PC center for the lube.

I have a friend who works at one of these centers who does mine. I drop it off at his place along with a 6-pac of Grolish and he services it for me every fall. :D

My PC is over 9 years old and works quietly and flawlessly. I think the brushes have been replaced once also. I`ve used this on hundreds of vehicles over the years.

togwt
06-10-2004, 08:44 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

The owner`s manual recommends that you have your PC inspected and serviced (if needed) after about 100 hours of usage by an authorized service centre, or the factory (731) 668-8600. Check (www.porter-cable.com.) for nearest service distributor. Other than keeping the machine clean and dust -free when it not in use very little maintenance is required.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *

jfelbab
06-10-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by TOGWT

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

The owner`s manual recommends that you have your PC inspected and serviced (if needed) after about 100 hours of usage by an authorized service centre, or the factory (731) 668-8600. Check (www.porter-cable.com.) for nearest service distributor. Other than keeping the machine clean and dust -free when it not in use very little maintenance is required.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *

That`s not exactly the way my manual reads. Perhaps your is different. According to my manual, lubrication is called for every year regardless of hours used.

Lubrication

Your machine has been lubricated at the factory with sufficient lubricant to last for approximately one year`s operation time. To add lubricant it is necessary to dismantle the tool. This operation should always be handled by the nearest Porter-Cable Authorized Service Center. All repairs and servicing made by these centers are fully guaranteed against defective materials and workmanship.

Brush Inspection

At approximately 100 hours of use, take or send your tool to your nearest Authorized Porter-Cable Service Station to be thoroughly cleaned and inspected; worn parts replaced, when necessary; relubricated with fresh lubricant, if required; reassembled with new brushes; and performance tested.

tguil
06-10-2004, 07:28 PM
It would seem to me that a hobby detailer who uses a pc maybe a total of ten times a year on very well maintained vehicles could go a mighty long time without any service on the pc.

Tom :cool:

jfelbab
06-10-2004, 08:24 PM
You would then be assuming that the grease or lubricant doesn`t dry out, harden or degrade over time?

I`m not sure whether or not that is a good assumption but the PC only costs a bit over $100 so not a big loss either way.

I was brought up with the "Take care of your tools and they will take care of you" mentality, :D hence I tend to follow the manufacturers recommendations. Granted I use the hell out of my PC but since the OP stated his PC is running hot, it may be a signal that maintenance may be called for, especially in his case, don`t you think?

kleinfreak
07-13-2004, 02:31 PM
Hey guys,

Sorry to bring up an old topic like this, but I recently acquired a pc7424 (never used but sat for a year) and oil is evident on the outside. Is that normal for a new unit? Is there a way to clean it before use, so no oil sprays onto my work surface?

Thanks

stiege
07-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Mine`s brand new and ran hot this weekend for my 6 hour buff session.

Jason