PDA

View Full Version : Coleman Powermate 7-inch Sander/Polisher??

bufferdan
06-08-2004, 10:13 AM
Do you think this would be a decent polisher?

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PRODUCT&PROD_ID=516688&cid=6250&fp=F#

Gadfly
06-08-2004, 12:12 PM
I have very mixed feelings about the Coleman. I ordered one @$50. It "stalled" if any pressure was put on the pad. I returned it and received a replacement. Same thing - stalled.

I returned the second example (It almost seems like they repackaged the first one.) They - the importer - refunded my orginal purchace price including tax and the shipping back and forth.

They are a top notch company, but maybey I got a "stastical sport" in their quality control.

bufferdan
06-08-2004, 12:34 PM
Well this one says it has an 11amp motor compared to a Porter-Cable 7424P with a 3.7amp motor...thats a big power difference. For the price i would like to give it a try.. I dont know though :) The porter cable can do almost twice the rpms though...do you guys ever use over 3000rpms?

bufferdan
06-08-2004, 12:47 PM
also...it doesnt say if its a rotary or random orbital. I take its a rotory with the high amperage and low rpm. Seems to be on the same scale as Porter-Cable 7428

tahoe04
06-08-2004, 07:27 PM
I have one so here`s my take on it. It`s a so-so machine, if your just starting out & are going to only use on a car or 2 that you own then it`s fine. but keep it mind that it will bog down faster the a big name unit. working on low speed is fine but if you need to work a area with pressure you`ll really need to crank up the speed dail to keep it from stalling. just remember to be fast turning down the speed before you ease up on your pressure ( to prevent burning the paint) like I said good for a weekend user but skip it if your pro detailing other`s cars