PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on detailing a motorcycle for a client?

Pages : [1] 2

RobertM
06-08-2004, 08:32 AM
Toward the end of this week (or weekend), I have a client with a Suzuki Volusia motorcycle that needs detailing. I think it`s either a 99 or 00 model. Not real dirty, but needs detailed.

First off, I`ve never detailed a bike in my life. But the owner also knows a bunch of other bike owners. So this could become a new service offered in my detailing business.

I`ve already searched the forums on motorcycle detailing. So far I`ve learned...

- never dress the tires--ever! :D

- bikes can get wet since they are driven in rain,

but be careful around the gauges area

- don`t get water in the exhaust pipes

- clean the leather seating area, but don`t dress (this one seems to go about 50/50 with autopians, some think non-greasy conditioners [i.e. Lexol] would be safe to use on the seat, any comments?)

Taking Scottwax`s advice from the other threads I searched through, I bought some S100 Total Cycle Cleaner so far.

Plan of attack (supplies anyway)...

S100 Total Cycle Cleaner (all around)

QEW, PwC, EX-P (paint)

Lexol Cleaner, Lexol Conditioner? (seat)

PBPP (chrome)

Various brushes

Am I missing anything? I guess I`m just a little worried. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot everyone,

Robert

crc32
06-08-2004, 09:00 AM
Robert

Although my post count is very low, I have absorbed more Autopian methods and techniques than the average biker. I ride and detail my own Honda VTX.

Your process looks good. I just have a few things to add.

On the tires, I use a tire gel, but wipe off the residue. Although not shiney, it makes the tire look "healthy". I have ridden in the rain just after application with no problems. However, I understand your concern for liability.

The Total Cycle Wash will strip all the old wax, etc., but you already know that. An excellent choice for a bike because it will loosen much of the embedded dirt that gets into the engine crevaces.

If the bike has a windshield, you`ll probably want to get a good plastic polish. Megs PlastX if it needs work, or Plexus if it is in good shape.

Dry with a leaf blower. I think a compressor could force water/dirt into places that could cause harm.

Run the engine for a few minutes after you`ve dried it to eliminate any moisture.

Your polish and wax choices sound good. For the chrome, I like Mothers Chrome Polish, but the PBPP will do just fine.

I detailed a LowRider last month and the chrome was a little rusty and pitted - the chrome alone took over an hour to do.

Hope you turn it into a jewel.

Boz

gnahc79
06-08-2004, 09:22 AM
don`t forget to clean and lube the chain (if it has one) afterwards.

for future reference if you detail sportbikes :):

Avoid spraying water directly in the the ram air ducts if the bike has them.

Don`t wax the sides of the tank.

Use either SG or WD40 to clean the wheels if they`re not chrome. I have no idea if SG/WD40 is ok for chrome. Do not use strong cleaners like A2Z on anodized (sp?) wheels.

I use VM & S100 wax on the fairings and top of the tank on my bike. :xyxthumbs

Scottwax
06-08-2004, 09:40 AM
The most important thing with detailing a bike it to take your time. If you rush through, you will miss some areas. It takes me at least 1.5 hours to detail a Harley that is a garage queen, 2-3 hours if it is regularly ridden, more if it sees hard use.

RobertM
06-08-2004, 09:55 AM
Twinsdaddy, thanks for the tips and evaluating the products that I plan on using. I was already planning on drying it with my 6.5HP Shop-Vac (converts into a leaf blower and blows at 265 mph :cool: ), but just forgot to mention it in my post.

gnahc79, thanks for the tips. What should I clean/lube the chain with?

Thanks a lot everyone,

Robert

crc32
06-08-2004, 01:11 PM
RobertM

Sorry, I meant to say PlastX, not ScratchX. I edited my post.

I am just a newbie.

Boz

crc32
06-08-2004, 01:21 PM
Here is my tank. The previous owner let his 4-year old son "ride" the tank while parked in the garage.

Anyway, my first photo post!

Hope I get the acronyms right:

3MPIIRC

3M SMR

S100

All done by hand, of course. Too small for the PC.

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/196/196560/folders/140200/985404Tankcloseup2nd.JPG

Boz

gnahc79
06-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by RobertM

gnahc79, thanks for the tips. What should I clean/lube the chain with?

I would ask the owner since nearly everyone uses different stuff. Me, I clean with WD40 and then put on some chain wax.

RobertM
06-08-2004, 01:53 PM
Twinsdaddy, that looks awesome! Maybe I`ll have to pick up some S100 Wax.

gnahc79, so just clean with WD40, then use the owner`s preference for a chain wax? What are some typical chain waxes that bike owners use/prefer?

Thanks a lot everyone,

Robert

admac
06-08-2004, 02:04 PM
hmm, i don`t know if i`d consider lubing the chain something i`d let the detailer do. that`s more of a maintenance issue than an appearance issue. chain lube slings all over the place, so you might not want to be responsible for lubing his chain.

gnahc79
06-08-2004, 02:05 PM
what admac said :). Since you don`t own a motorcycle your best bet would be to notify the owner that the chain should be cleaned and lubed. I haven`t done another person`s bike yet, but ppl can be nuts about what chain lube/wax (like motor oil) to use and how to use it. :)

scottabir
06-09-2004, 02:41 AM
ohhh I HATE doing bikes! last Harley detail took over 5 hours to complete. Do yourself a favor and invest in MANY different brushes! big, small, coarse, medium, soft ect, ect. you will be happy you did :D

imported_Terry
06-09-2004, 04:34 AM
I S100 everything except the seat....Wheels aren`t fun, but investing in a stand is a good idea. Here`s a nice looking Harley I did last week. It`s a lady clients bike. Like Scottwax said....Bikes take around two hours....I charge $75.00 for something in moderately good condition. I enjoy doing them.....except the wheels are tough for me. Good Luck:xyxthumbs

usracer900
06-09-2004, 01:41 PM
For a quick detail, Honda Pro Cleaner is an awesome product. It comes in an aerosol can and can be bought at any Honda (motorcycle) dealership for arouind $5 a can. Amazing stuff, you can spray on all metal, plastic, vinyl and rubber parts. Really makes it shine as well as protecting it.

I`ve had bikes for 10 years and never washed them with a hose. Always used Honda Pro Cleaner and some sort of degreaser for the heavy stuff.

2wheelsx2
06-09-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by gnahc79

Don`t wax the sides of the tank.

I`m a little puzzled by this one. Why wouldn`t you want to wax the tank? :nixweiss

If anything, I want to be able to slide around the tank when I hang off in the corners....