PDA

View Full Version : A Rookies Q`s

kevinas1
06-07-2004, 11:45 PM
Hi all, this is my first post. There is so much information here it is quite staggering. Just the amount of different products alone is confusing. So, please help me out. I have two cars to detail, one with black base coat/clear coat and one with red lacquer. I need help deciding what products to purchase. I`m planning on claying both if they need it or not. After that is up in the air. The black one has lots of swirl marks from improper car. I need everything, I currently have turtle wax. I`ll now pause for the laughter to subside...........ok.............how `bout now...............

Anyway I`m gonna get a PC since I want to do this on a regular basis. I`d like to be able to use as many of the products on both vehicles as possible without sacrificing results. What are the best products out there for red/black paints? I need everything, wash supplies, different pads, polishing towels, wax, you get the picture. I`m not partial to any brand. I just want to get it right the first time. Please be specific, don`t use to many abreviations and post why you think this would be the best combo for me, if you could. Thanks in advance. Seven

zzyyzx
06-08-2004, 01:17 AM
First, welcome. Second, go to the main page and print out the Acronyms (http://www.autopia.org/display.php?file=acronyms.htm) section. It will help you LOADS. Here`s a few of my thoughts and suggestions:

Wash... Meguiars makes some good stuff. I like the Soft Wash Gel as you can find it at pretty much any auto store and it`s under $5. Plus it`s decent stuff. I`ve heard good things about the new NXT Wash, but I haven`t tried it yet.

Clay... I use a clay bar from a local auto body shop. I don`t like the packages b/c I don`t need their clay lube. You can just use wash solution (or even dish soap if you`re trying to strip stuff) with some water in a spray bottle. A lot cheaper.

From here on out, as you`ve read, start with the least agressive and then work up if needed. Some Meg`s Dual Action Cleaner Polish (with cutting pad) would probably do well on the swirls, but that might be too much for the red car.

Polymers... Been really happy with NXT Tech Wax lately. Really easy to use, forgiving and smells good. :) Get a Microfiber bonnet to take it off... makes it even easier.

Toppers... there are many. Meg`s #16 is nice and pretty easy to work with.

You might also want to look into Poorboy`s World. They make some really good products also that can be used in the sunlight. Not quite as an overwhelming product selection either. Most people here have a "collection" of products and supplies and everyone will have a little bit of different experiences. Make sure to check out the sponsors and the Vendors Kudos section. A few places that get regular accolades are: Autopia Auto Care, Excel Detail, Pak Shak, Detailer`s Paradise, Poorboy`s World and many others. Stuff gets expensive quickly, so try one or two products and if you like it, use it and drive on. If not, then get more. Otherwise you`ll end up with a garage full of products barely using any of them. Good Luck!!!

SpoiledMan
06-08-2004, 01:45 AM
Yeah, what he said except about the 16. It HAS to be put on thin and not let to haze completely or you will need your spinach to get it off. The results are VERY worth it though.:bounce

6SpeedBowtie
06-08-2004, 07:18 AM
I too am relatively new to Autopia. Once upon a time I thought I was quite the detailer, but after logging on here, I have found there is much to learn.

I recently ordered a PC (7424 from coastal tool) and some cutting and polishing pads (from CMA), and purchased some DACP, NXT Tech wax and some #16 to try out on the Daily driver just as zzyyzx has mentioned.

The DACP is quite easy to work with once I got the hang of it and figured out how long to work it into the paint, and it provides some excellent results. NXT is VERY easy to apply (I use the PC) and even easier to remove. Great results. I applied the #16 for the first time this weekend and using the WOO method, found it very easy to work with. In all honesty, it may be just about the easiest stuff I`ve worked with.-- just don`t let it dry too much or it is a real pain to take off.

I`d recommend this collection of product as a starting point. The DACP may or may not be the best start depending on the paint condition. I`d definitely use the NXT and #16 as they are both quite affordable.

I also have Zaino that I use on the "toy". It goes on fairly easily, but is a little harder to remove than the NXT. So far quite pleased with it as well, although it was a bit more expensive.

It`s easy to get somewhat confused by all of the options and products out there. Don`t let that paralize you and prevent you from getting out there and getting started.

kevinas1
06-08-2004, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the help so far fellas. The Acro list is a big help. I`ve read that the Pinnacle Souverän Paste Wax is the best wax for red and black, what are everyones thoughts on that and how does it compare with #16? The thing I`m most confused about are all the different polishing compounds. I`m willing to do unnecessary work to get it right the first time, so I don`t mind a little overkill to start. Is there an link that explains the different compounds? Also, what about using them on lacquer as compared to clear coat. I know the answers are already out there but, I simply don`t have the time needed to sort through all the threads to get the specific information I need. I`d like to be able to decide what I want and order by weeks end. Thanks again. Seven