PDA

View Full Version : Hard water woes....

Pages : [1] 2

ExplorerXLT95
06-07-2004, 10:27 PM
I did a miniscule amount of searching on here and I can`t seem to find anything regarding what to do if you have hard water. Well, as you can imagine, I suffer from this problem and I am kinda unsure what to do about it.... If I don`t dry the car immediately, especially if it`s extremely sunny out, I get minor water spotting. Being a brand new BLACK car, I can`t have water spots messing up my paint. Is there any sort of car wash that softens water, or anything? PLEASE HELP ME (and my car) :)

I appreciate it fellas/ladies, thanks.

hondaguy2582
06-07-2004, 10:31 PM
Use meguiars nxt car wash. Also, I suggest wiring up an inline hose water filter to help reduce the mineral content of the water.

ExplorerXLT95
06-07-2004, 10:33 PM
Where does one find an inline water hose filter?

ben54
06-07-2004, 10:45 PM
Does NXT car wash cut down on the hard water spots?

hondaguy2582
06-07-2004, 10:55 PM
Read this thread: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28379&highlight=inline+water+filter

trueblueblood
06-08-2004, 09:50 AM
Their are some soaps made for harder water here is one from Prowax http://www.prowax.com/shampoos.shtml

Hope that helps!

grimmster
06-08-2004, 10:20 AM
Although the soaps help when washing, you stil need to rinse with hard water, so that defeats the purpose a bit...the hose link seems to be the only good solution

maecrispy
06-08-2004, 10:24 AM
You could always follow up your washes with a QD session. That would give you additional slickness and get rid of your water spots.

I find that a combination of technique (i.e. sheet rinsing, efficient drying) and QD make water spots a non-issue despite the fact that water in our area is on the hard side.

trueblueblood
06-08-2004, 10:40 AM
Or better yet use QEW(Quick and easy wash)Since you wash and dry at the same time it would be perfect and its also a time saver. I haven`t done a normal wash in months. Its great stuff do a search here and you should get alot of results.

ExplorerXLT95
06-08-2004, 12:19 PM
Well, I just ordered this (http://www.pwgazette.com/gardenhosefilters.htm) inline garden hose filter from Pure Water Products` webpage. Has anyone else bought this product from them? Just curious, but it sounds like it works pretty well. Anyways. I`ll let you know how it goes, and thanks for all the help.

famousperson
06-08-2004, 01:13 PM
Tried the inline filter canister with the DI filter. Worked better then nothing but still waterspotted all over without drying. I wanted to let the cars (2 black) air dry without drying, like the mr clean. Looked on the net and found this one called the "invisible chamois" that suppose to take all the solids out of the water. It wasn`t cheap ($230) but it works. Just make sure you rinse the car off good. No waterpots and I can use the carwash I want. The car does look brighter by using this.

Bill

oldmodman
06-08-2004, 11:37 PM
I just received that filter housing yesterday. I also ordered the PW-SOF filter. That is supposed to be the best on for use as a car washing filter. According to their web site instructions you can renew the filter by soaking it for at least 24 hours in the same brine solution that is used to back flush home water softeners. I will be testing it tomorrow by washing a black test panel and leaving it to dry in the sun. I`ll post the results and try to upload a picture.

ExplorerXLT95
06-08-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by oldmodman

I just received that filter housing yesterday. I also ordered the PW-SOF filter.

SNIP

I will be testing it tomorrow by washing a black test panel and leaving it to dry in the sun. I`ll post the results and try to upload a picture.

I`d greatly appreciate it as, 1) I got the exact same thing as you and 2) I have a Black `03 Cobra :D

Thanks a lot guys, I look forward to the pics...

ExplorerXLT95
06-11-2004, 01:11 AM
Hey oldmodman, did you do that test yet? My inline filter gets here Monday, but until then, I wanted to see how you fared..... Let us know man, we`d all appreciate it...

jimmybuffit
06-11-2004, 06:47 AM
This has beeen mentioned before. ..

Use a clean/new garden pump sprayer filled with distilled water (2 gallons).

Use as a final rinse to displace the `bad` hose water remaining on the car... you can see the difference.

I used to have great success in my home garage, in the winter. Doing this in the sun? that`s the bad part!

G`Luck!

Jim