PDA

View Full Version : Single stage paint problem and ColorX

slov98
06-07-2004, 03:08 PM
On my father`s 94 white camry, (The paint is SS because it left white residue on the foam pad.) that hasn`t been waxed once, I tried to use ColorX but the results were not good. It left what looks like smear/haze marks that I couldn`t get rid of with a QD or a wash, it`s all over the hood and top, and the trunk if you look closely has zebra like marks

The directions said to apply and let it dry, so I left it on for about 10 mins it was sunny about 75-80F, after I went to remove the product there was nothing to remove, I guess it all dried up and left the marks which came from the foam pad I applied it with.

It looks pretty ugly now, I wonder how I could get rid of it or mask it somehow.

I was going to use scratch X(it works well on my newer car) first to prep the surface but that left paint on the pad so I got scared since it`s a polish, I thought it`s eating up the paint. After some further reading I read this is normal for single stage paint?

Thank you for any suggestions

Mike_Phillips
06-07-2004, 03:30 PM
Hi slov98,

With single stage finishes that have been neglected, you have to really pay attention and apply your product evenly and thoroughly you will end up with areas that are really clean and areas that are less clean and thus the Zebra Stripe effect.

This also applies when working with a machine like the rotary buffer. You can remove a lot of dead, oxidized paint in one area and less in another area and the effect looks like stripes.

It`s not the product, as the product is a great cleaner/wax, it`s the application. Try re-applying the same product, only this time, work one section at a time, overlapping from one section to the next.

Also, try using a piece of terry cloth for a little more bite and cleaning action. This should help a great deal.

Check out the thread below where you`ll see that I switched from a foam applicator to a terry cloth to increase my cleaning ability. Had I not applied the ColorX evenly and thoroughly, I could have easily ended up with nice looking areas and dull oxidized areas on the below single stage paint.

1986 Ford Bronco II - Extreme Makeover (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88)

(Takes some elbow grease to keep you application thorough, many people start out doing a good job and then as their arm tires, their results fall off)

Also, anytime you have problems with a product sticking, or smearing, often times, re-application of the same product will loosen itself and remove any smears.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2011BroncoAfterEntireHood2.jpg

Also, did you clay the car first?

Mike

slov98
06-07-2004, 06:03 PM
thanks for the response, I will try it again with the terry towel. Is it fine to use little more product and apply it little harder? I don`t want to damage the paint though. (When I was just drying the car initially after carwash, once I wrung out the MF cloth, white water came out, not clear)

I clayed the hood but I did not see that it was doing anything, the bar was completely clean afterwards

Mike_Phillips
06-07-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by slov98

thanks for the response, I will try it again with the terry towel. Is it fine to use little more product and apply it little harder? I don`t want to damage the paint though. (When I was just drying the car initially after carwash, once I wrung out the MF cloth, white water came out, not clear)

I clayed the hood but I did not see that it was doing anything, the bar was completely clean afterwards

When ever your working on neglected paint with a cleaner/wax it`s always a good idea to use ample product, especially if it`s a chemical cleaner wax, so that you have plenty of cleaners present to help clean the surface and at least in Meguair`s line, the polishing oils will lubricate the surface.

Yes, you should be able to use a little more elbow grease with the terry cloth.

Paint cleaners and cleaner/waxes are meant to be worked into the paint, not merely applied and wiped off like a pure polish or pure wax.

Mike

jimmybuffit
06-07-2004, 08:42 PM
Kinda cool to get a response direct from the product manufacturer, huh?

You really need a machine for your project, but Mike`s advice is spot on!

Good Luck!

Jim

slov98
06-08-2004, 10:35 AM
I tried it this morning with more rubbing (terry cloth applicator)and more product and it worked! I guess there is a reason why the bottle is pretty big...

I did it before I read the last couple of posts. I guess I could have used more now but it still came out great. It was cloudy outside so it was easy to see spots I missed. I rubbed it in and immediatelly wiped it off. The test will be later on when my father sees it, I hope he will see the shine. I`ll try to take a picture.

The mistake I did yesterday was I applied it pretty gently like a wax waited 10 minutes to dry and there was nothing to remove and it left me with all these problems that I was able to fix today.

Afterwards, I tried to apply NXT wax on top of colorX but I didn`t see any difference, I wasn`t sure if it was safe for single stage paint so I stopped. Is it safe? I was again getting the same problem drying too fast and then no excess to remove.

It is great to get an actual response from the manufacturer. I started out with eagle one products but I`m converting now.