PDA

View Full Version : #7 and DC Polish the same?

du3ce
06-07-2004, 01:30 PM
I own two of these products, i just bought the Deep Crystal Polish. I noticed when i open the bottle, its the same color and smelled the same as the #7 show car glaze. Are these two made of the same ingredients?

Inzane
06-07-2004, 08:25 PM
They are close but not quite the same. The Deep Crystal Step 2 Polish is probably closer to #81 Hand Polish (again similar to #7 but intended more for clear coat paint) but I`m not sure on that, just a guess... All three of those: #7, DC 2, and #81 are all fairly close to each other, but I don`t believe the ingredients are identical. I own all three and have had them open side by side for color and smell comparison and to my eyes and nose they are not quite identical.

Mike_Phillips
06-07-2004, 08:44 PM
InZane is correct.

They are in some ways similar, but not identical. Deep Crystal Polish is formulated for ease of use by hand or orbital polisher on clear coat paint, but it can be used on single stage paints.

#7 Show Car Glaze is formulated for single stage, traditional paints. This formula was created in the 1930`s and I`m pretty sure both Barry and the head chemist have told me the formula has never been changed.

The #81 Hand Polish is a pure polish that came from product development of the 80`s series from work Meguiar`s has been involved with at the OEM level.

And...

Don`t forget #3 Machine Glaze and #45 Boat Polish. These are also non-abrasive, pure polishes that are similar, but different in their ingredients and usage characteristics.

Mike

VTEC11
06-14-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Mike Phillips

InZane is correct.

They are in some ways similar, but not identical. Deep Crystal Polish is formulated for ease of use by hand or orbital polisher on clear coat paint, but it can be used on single stage paints.

#7 Show Car Glaze is formulated for single stage, traditional paints. This formula was created in the 1930`s and I`m pretty sure both Barry and the head chemist have told me the formula has never been changed.

The #81 Hand Polish is a pure polish that came from product development of the 80`s series from work Meguiar`s has been involved with at the OEM level.

And...

Don`t forget #3 Machine Glaze and #45 Boat Polish. These are also non-abrasive, pure polishes that are similar, but different in their ingredients and usage characteristics.

Mike

Mike,

Which one would you consider being the best?

I bought a bottle of the deep crystal. Is that a pure polish? I was planing on using a meguiars polish with NXT. I have a 2000 Silver Acura TL and the paint is in decent shape.

thanks..

Mike_Phillips
06-14-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by VTEC11

Mike,

Which one would you consider being the best?

I spoke with a chemist here at Meguiar`s about this because all of the Meguiar`s pure polishes really do a good job of what they are intended to do, and that is to create brilliant high gloss, darken the paint, increase reflectivity, and create a wet-look finish.

His answer was that #7 Show Car Glaze is the richest, most concentrated pure polish in the Meguiar`s line.

That`s not to say that Deep Crystal Polish, #81 Hand Polish, #3 Machine Glaze, or #5 New Car Glaze are less able to perform spectacularly, but if you want the best, then you want #7 Show Car Glaze.

Mike

VTEC11
06-14-2004, 08:12 PM
Mike,

thanks for your quick reply. Is that also the best for new cars with clear coats?

Mike_Phillips
06-14-2004, 08:40 PM
Technically, a new car with a factory baked on clear coat doesn`t really need to be polished with a product like #7 Show Car Glaze, but instead would benefit more by a good wash, followed by claying the finish and then having a quality wax applied to it.

You can polish a brand new car with a factory baked on clear coat finish, but if it is indeed the original, intact, robot applied factory clear coat finish and it hasn`t been monkied with anywhere from the assembly line to the VPC, (Vehicle Processing Center), and onto the dealership, then the paint is the most impermeable it will ever be and one or two coats of a quality car wax, or paint protectant would be more than sufficient until the finish has been made more permeable through age and touching.

That`s not to say an application of a pure polish wouldn`t make the paint look good.

Mike

VTEC11
06-14-2004, 09:58 PM
mike,

its not really a brand new car. Its a 2000, with 60k miles. Want to bring out some of the original shine. ;)

Mike_Phillips
06-14-2004, 10:01 PM
If you want to do the most you can do to restore the original finish, the I would,

* Wash

* Clay

* Paint Cleaner

* Pure Polish

* A minimum of two coats of your favorite wax

Then stand back and admire or drive around and show it off.

Mike