PDA

View Full Version : pc or cyclone-????

dweeb
06-05-2004, 02:46 PM
hi all, i am a newbie here so be patient. i have seen good reviews of both machines and since i have no experience with either i am looking for a comparison of both a-porter cable7242 b-cyclone ps-are parts and accessories available for each thanks:scared

hrspwr00v6
06-05-2004, 03:34 PM
i think more people use the PC because pads and the like are more readily available

PakShak
06-05-2004, 03:35 PM
Hi dweeb,

I personally would recommend the PC because of the various combinations of pads and backing plates available. There is a easy learning curve on the PC. You will soon master it and you can step up to a rotary like I did. :D

With Aloha,

Ranney :)

Bill D
06-05-2004, 03:56 PM
I`m probably going to get a Cyclo one day down the road to round off my polisher arsenal: PC and rotary. If I understand correctly, the Cyclo is a sort of "missing link" between the PC and rotary which could be especially useful on hard clear like Audi`s

Accumulator
06-05-2004, 05:17 PM
We almost oughta have a PC vs. Cyclo sticky somewhere; this question comes up a lot. It`s really a case-by-case thing, where what`s right for one person might not be right for someone else. a *lot* of it depends on what vehicle you`re gonna be using it on.

With its variable speed, all the backing plates and pads available, it`s virtually idiot-proof nature ("virtually" because you can`t underestimate idiocy these days ;) ) and numerous service centers all over, the PC is still the "standard choice". It sure beats the cheaper "WaxMaster" style ROs and it`s a lot better than working by hand.

But...I dunno about the commonly mentioned, supposed shortcomings of the Cyclo really being valid concerns. I don`t have a problem with the fixed speed. I`ve never felt that the Cyclo couldn`t do a given job because of the "limited choice in pads/backing plates". I`ve never had to maintain (let alone rebuild) a Cyclo in about twenty years, and I *have* had to have a PC rebuilt in less than half that time. The carpet brush attachments are gonna work a *lot* better on the Cyclo than on the PC- just the nature of the beast, and for the same reason, the Cyclo is gonna remove marring that the PC won`t. Other than having to mail-order the Cyclo pads, IMO there isn`t really any issue here. There are more choices in MF bonnets for the PC, but there are some good ones available for the Cyclo, too.

Seems like you never hear about a Cylco user feeling he needs to get a PC (heh heh, though *I* did). But note that people who own PCs sometimes end up thinking they want/need a Cyclo, and when they get one, they just *rave* about how much better they like it. According to Terry at CMA and Irene at TOL, more pros use Cyclos than PCs (and Terry and Irene both prefer the Cyclo). I have both, and I definitely prefer the Cyclo. While some people complain about the vibration (and other characteristics) of the PC, we Cyclo users often say how we find the Cyclo actually *enjoyable* to use.

Learning curve? Virtually *none* with the PC, and the Cyclo is pretty easy to master too. I`ve had everyone from teenagers to octogenarians comfortable with either machine in no time (they almost always prefer the Cyclo, BTW). If you`re dealing with a *very* fragile vehicle, the PC would be the better choice. If you`re dealing with something modern (regular b/c paint), IMO you can start off with either one, with no prior experience.

The variable speed of the PC is certainly more versatile than the single speed of the Cyclo. This is why the PC would be a better choice for working on a very fragile paintjob. But the way the PC bogs down under load (the source of its "jiggle-machine" nickname) means it can`t do the sort of work the Cyclo can. The Cyclo doesn`t bog down and I can`t imagine anyone calling *it* a "jiggle-machine" (instead, some people call it a "sorta-rotary").

People often expect miracles out of machines like these. IMO you`re more likely to be disappointed with the results from the PC than with the Cyclo. But neither one is a rotary.

Note that the PC can deal with certain contours better than the Cyclo. Despite the Cyclo`s smaller heads, you just can`t get into tight spots with it as well as with the PC. On my XJS, this is enough of an issue that I bought a PC after using the Cyclo on it for years. On other cars, it isn`t an issue at all, so you have to think about what you`ll be using it on.

You won`t go wrong with either machine. But don`t let anyone tell you that one or the other is the hands-down choice either.

Bill D
06-05-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

,more pros use Cyclos than PCs (and Terry and Irene both prefer the Cyclo). I have both, and I definitely prefer the Cyclo. .

Ah! And I first laid eyes upon a Cyclo years ago in the garage of a good ( yes they exist ,but almost legendard like a unicorn ;) ) dealer. He he, maybe that should be an attribute to look for in a good dealer: Do thet have a cyclo out back ? :D

dweeb
06-05-2004, 08:27 PM
hi all,you guys rock, thanks for all the support on this, i will give this some thought and go for one !!!! -oh yea one more question-or should i be starting a new thread???? to be a newbie will i be able to use either of these on my roof rack and bumpers-still cant get all wax off-ouch my arm hurts.:wavey