PDA

View Full Version : Clay ofter Prewax and polish?

JHargrave
06-05-2004, 12:24 AM
Okay i was ready to detail my car this is the process i was going to follow:

1. Wash

2. Clay

3. Prewax (deep crystal paint cleaner)

4. cutting polish

5. nourishing polish

6. wax

but i was recommended to :

1 wash

2prewax

3cutting polish

4nourishing polish

5Clay

6wax

I was recommended to do this because it could preserve the life of my clay. My question is: will this somehow hurt the paint? Also should i polish before or after i clean the paint?

Thanks

rickindy
06-05-2004, 04:09 AM
The first order you had was correct. Claying comes right after washing and before anything else. It preps the surface for the polishing and waxing.

Not sure what "cutting polish" is. Brand names would help a lot.

Wash and clay first, then you`ll be able to decide what you need to do next depending on the paint condition. The deep crystal paint cleaner may be all you need to do before a polish and wax.

Aurora
06-05-2004, 04:28 AM
Double that! As minute as the contaminants are, you don`t want to polish them as opposed to the paint.

JHargrave
06-05-2004, 11:52 AM
When i say "cutting polish" i mean a fine polish that takes off a very minute portion of the top clear coat. At this moment that polish would be "tutle wax polishing compound". the nourishing polish is step 2 of the three stepdeep crystal process. Although the turtle wax polishing compuond my not be very good, its all that i have in my area stores. I would however like to find a good fine abrasive polish, if anyone could help me with that.

Thanks

Accumulator
06-07-2004, 10:29 AM
JHargrave - If the "tutle wax polishing compound" is taking off a minute amount of clear then it *is* an abrasive polish.

You might check the yellow pages for auto paint/body supply shops. They`ll have brands like 3M (their Perfect-It III line is very user-friendly), Pro, and Meguiar`s. LOTS of choices in abrasive polishes at places like that.