PDA

View Full Version : Carnuba over sealants ...

kartoon
06-04-2004, 08:55 AM
I notice that a lot of people top the sealants with a coat of carnuba wax. I`m assuming this is only for the looks.

My question is: for the weekly maintanance, do you just apply the carnuba after washing or do the entire process from polishing to the end ?

SK2003TypeS
06-04-2004, 09:15 AM
For weekly maintenance, most will just wash and QD the car. I don`t think you`ll need to do carnuba every week (at least not me). Maybe every month or 2 depending on what the car is exposed to. No need to do the "entire" process. Last year I did 2 polishing sessions. HTH

Welcome to Autopia:wavey

imported_Sullybob
06-04-2004, 09:17 AM
You would only apply the carnuba for the maintanence. Once your paint is prep`ed the way you want it, you seal it. The carnuba is mostly for looks. It is also a sacrifical (sp?) layer. The carnuba will take the abuse before the sealant will.

Aurora
06-04-2004, 09:20 AM
I tried s100 over nxt and saw no difference in any way on the paint. Just wipe on and off, right? I feel as if I`m simply applying and taking it off, leaving nothing behind.

kartoon
06-04-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by SK2003TypeS

I don`t think you`ll need to do carnuba every week (at least not me). Maybe every month or 2 depending on what the car is exposed to. No need to do the "entire" process. Last year I did 2 polishing sessions. HTH

Welcome to Autopia:wavey

Thanks. I asked because I read some people saying they apply wax once a week.

BTW, I saw the pic of your "toys" and I`m affraid that`s what will happen to me.

OK, so whatever the interval is, when the carnuba layer gets worn out, and assuming the sealant is holding up, do you just reapply the wax or remove the old one first ?

togwt
06-04-2004, 10:05 AM
Quote: I tried s100 over nxt and saw no difference in any way on the paint. Just wipe on and off, right? I feel as if I`m simply applying and taking it off, leaving nothing behind.

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Let a Carnauba wax ‘haze’ and then remove.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *

Fleet
06-04-2004, 10:56 AM
I`m planning on applying Poorboys EX over my EXP as a topper this weekend. Anyone see any problems with bonding? Or should I use S100 / Natty`s as a topper? The reason I am using EX is that I already own it. But I could go out and purchase some wax if need be.

Thanks

SK2003TypeS
06-04-2004, 11:04 AM
You`re welcome. It wouldn`t surprise me if someone wax`d once a week. Some people here clay fairly often, wash 2 or 3 times a week and so forth.

It`s tough to truely know when the carnuba layer is worn out. But you can just reapply wax. If you want to reapply sealant, then you have to strip the carnuba off before putting on more sealant.

If you haven`t already, check out the "Learn" button at the top of the page. Great articles there !!

BTW: My Toy collection is rather small compared to others here :eek:

PaUlzRiDe
06-05-2004, 12:59 AM
kartoon, welcome to autopia spin the bottle.....

a lot of us on here mix this with that and top this with that till we found this etc etc etc....

the whole point for a sealant is to be the coat that shines, & the coat that protects.... it wasn`t meant to be topped off with carnauba wax, especially once a week....

stay away from waxing over sealant with carnaubas.... most carnauba waxes (95%) are made with refined mineral spirits.... if you check with the companies that make these sealants, they will tell you to safely remove sealant, use refined mineral spirits...

see the point? the carnauba wax will actually degrade the sealant. except... Amino UV Liquid Polymer Wax, which is my personal fav. is Primarily Polymer Sealant but made with Pure carnauba and no solvents.... so far the best sealant i have ever used, over WG, Kalsse, etc... Never been waxed over with carnaubas..... months later, still slicker than a babys butt.

Just when you wash the car, use a sealant safe soap..and some kind of QD... remember dawn dishsoap takes cut grime and grease (and sealant)? so do a lot of car wash soaps...

RedStang
06-05-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by PaUlzRiDe

stay away from waxing over sealant with carnaubas.... most carnauba waxes (95%) are made with refined mineral spirits.... if you check with the companies that make these sealants, they will tell you to safely remove sealant, use refined mineral spirits...

Does anyone have any comments on this? I was planning on topping the Wolfgang twins with #26, and I know that others on this board top sealants with carnauba (Scottwax comes to mind)... this is the first time I`ve heard that topping with a carnauba wax is not good over a sealant...

imported_elortt
06-05-2004, 03:19 PM
I do not think that I agree with paulzride. If you are one to top with a carnuaba than you are likely to do it often anyway as carnauba toppers do not last too long anyway. which means that you are constantly applying protection. If paul is right than that means all the pro detailers that use toppers like S100, Natty`s, #16 megs, are just wasting time. Also liquid sealants also contain solvents (A-UV Im sure is no different in that aspect) so why does it last on the vehicle, wouldnt the solvent just erase the sealant?

comparison---paint contains mineral spirits---you can also remove paint with mineral spirits but anyone who has ever painted (a house, car etc...) know that applying paint doesnt remove the underlying paint

btw Poorboys EX is also a sealant that contains carnauba, not just A-UV

Eric

My 2c`s

BrianR
06-05-2004, 04:20 PM
ive used poorboys and the A-UV... the poorboys smelled a little like it may have solvent, the A-UV didn`t seem like it, but hell who knows how many actuall chemicals are in these waxes... but i have to agree with paul, sealants i don`t think are supposed to be topped with cranauba... and even if you do, the selants are supposed to stay glossy, if you use carnauba and the finish seems to dull or not be as shinny.... chances are the wax took off the sealants effect of sorts....

by the way i think the A-UV performed a bit better than the Poorboys.