PDA

View Full Version : NXT Tech Wax Question

Pages : [1] 2 3

`ill*tl
06-04-2004, 04:13 AM
Can the NXT Tech Wax be layered like Zaino? Thanks in advance..

spetulla
06-04-2004, 04:21 AM
maybe twice.

DantePasquale
06-04-2004, 06:36 AM
NXT has some mild cleaners. So layering NXT seems unlikely. I try to apply two coats when I use it, just to insure complete coverage.

This topic has been discussed in great detail. Try doing a search, that should provide quite a bit of opinion on your question

Guinnesspounder
06-04-2004, 11:33 AM
I put two coats on my truck. Don`t think that it`ll go much more than that.

`ill*tl
06-04-2004, 11:39 AM
I tried searching but there are too many NXT threads to go through. :D Thanks for the replies..

togwt
06-04-2004, 11:43 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

NXT Tech Wax cannot be ‘layered’.

Does NXT Tech Wax contain any abrasives?

Yes. NXT is a very special formula, which has the ability to eliminate fine swirls without marring the surface. There are many, many styles and types of "Cleaners" and "Abrasives" available to Meguiar`s for use in our formulas. Meguiar`s chooses the type of cleaners and/or abrasives for each formula based upon the results we intend each specific product to accomplish. For NXT Tech Wax, Meguiar`s has included a very "Specialized Abrasive" that is designed to safely eliminate those stubborn fine swirls, which are troubling to all of us, especially on dark colored cars.

If your finish has moderate to heavy swirls, oxidation, or other surface blemishes, you will need to pre-clean the surface prior to applying NXT Tech Wax with a premium paint cleaner.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *

topnotchtouch
06-04-2004, 11:44 AM
I would not do any more than 2-3 and even then really only to ensure complete and even coverage. It is not like Zaino, it does have very mild cleaners in it. I have noticed a difference between just doing one layer and doing two so I think there is a slight benefit to it.

If you are going to put more than one layer on be sure to leave time for it to cure between layers. Meguiars recommends 24 hours. In that time try not to get the finish wet, that means no washing, quick detailing or rain.

Mike_Phillips
06-04-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by `ill*tl

Can the NXT Tech Wax be layered like Zaino? Thanks in advance..

Check out Meguiar`s new FAQ for Meguiar`s official statement on layering.

Here are the links,

Meguiar`s FAQ

http://www.meguiars.com/faq/

13. Are multiple coats of wax beneficial? (Layering)

http://www.meguiars.com/faq/_index.cfm?faqCat=General%20Questions&faqQuestionID=13&section=_13#_13

14. Can Meguiar`s waxes be "Layered"?

http://www.meguiars.com/faq/_index.cfm?faqCat=General%20Questions&faqQuestionID=14&section=_14#_14

By the way, I had a member from CorvetteForum bring me his car with 15 coats of Brand X on it. Mud Puddle water was splashed onto the finish and the drops of water ate holes into the clear coat paint so deep that we had to machine clean the clear coat to remove some of the clear paint in order to level the surface and remove the holes/spots.

All he ever applied to his Corvette was Brand X since new. After fixing his problem, he purchased $580.00 worth of Meguiar`s products and switched over to NXT. He learned that layering wasn`t what he believed it to be, and that his clear coat metallic garnet finish looked better with NXT Tech Wax.

Our forum, www.MeguiarsOnline.com is down due to a server crash, but later, when it`s back up, I have the whole story with pictures on the site. This isn`t the only "Layering" incident that I have worked on.

Here`s another case of a person layering on a product since purchasing the car new only to find a product that worked better for him in his eyes.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/2704nxtoverzaino2-med.jpg

Don`t be fooled into thinking more and more layers will add more and more protection, or make your finish better and better looking...

Paint has a limit. The surface of you paint can only hold so much wax, polish or paint protectant. After you reach the point of diminishing returns, you are simply wasting product and wiping off the excess.

Also, a clear coat can only become so clear, adding 5 more coats of Brand X won`t make it more and more clear. That`s called marketing hype and bad information.

If you could truly layer a product WITHOUT END, then unless that product is as clear as water, how will it make your finish look better with each application?

The simple answer is, it won`t.

I have found one product that would appear to truly be layerable. But when it dries, it dries milky white.

100% clear is 100% clear, how can you make something 101% clear?

Not sure what you`re looking for. The best thing to do is to try a product out and see if you like it.

Hope this helps...

Mike

04BlackAV
06-04-2004, 02:04 PM
I usually do 2 layers 24 hrs apart also just to ensure total coverage.I have to admit I love putting this stuff on with a PC.:D

imported_Intermezzo
06-04-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Mike Phillips

Meguiar`s FAQ

http://www.meguiars.com/faq/

13. Are multiple coats of wax beneficial? (Layering)

http://www.meguiars.com/faq/_index.cfm?faqCat=General%20Questions&faqQuestionID=13&section=_13#_13

14. Can Meguiar`s waxes be "Layered"?

http://www.meguiars.com/faq/_index.cfm?faqCat=General%20Questions&faqQuestionID=14&section=_14#_14

Mike, thanks for the links. I agree... IMO, Meguiar`s products do not layer very well. I notice absolutely no increase in shine after two coats.

By the way, I had a member from CorvetteForum bring me his car with 15 coats of Brand X on it. Mud Puddle water was splashed onto the finish and the drops of water ate holes into the clear coat paint so deep that we had to machine clean the clear coat to remove some of the clear paint in order to level the surface and remove the holes/spots.

All he ever applied to his Corvette was Brand X since new. After fixing his problem, he purchased $580.00 worth of Meguiar`s products and switched over to NXT. He learned that layering wasn`t what he believed it to be, and that his clear coat metallic garnet finish looked better with NXT Tech Wax.

Well, I hope you`re not suggesting that the makers of this *Brand X* say that layering multiple coats will prevent water-spot etching into the clear-coat. I sure haven`t read anything like that anywhere. Anyone who believes that multiple layers of wax or sealant can effectively prevent water-spots etching into their clear is in for a rude awakening. It doesn`t really matter if we`re talking brand X or NXT. Whatever caused the deep etch marks that went right through the 15 layers of brand X would have done the exact same with NXT.

Also, a clear coat can only become so clear, adding 5 more coats of Brand X won`t make it more and more clear. That`s called marketing hype and bad information.

If you could truly layer a product WITHOUT END, then unless that product is as clear as water, how will it make your finish look better with each application?

It`s pretty common knowledge in the custom paint industry that a thicker overall clear-coat portion of the paint will result in a more beautiful finish. The glossiness of many layers of clearcoat on a good quality custom paint job is what truly brings out the shine in a car. Quite frankly, the kind of shine that a perfect detail job brings is NOTHING compared to how good a car will look after a top-notch paint job with several layers of clear coat. In that spirit, when adding more and more layers of an optically clear sealant, essentially what is being accomplished is the glossiness of that clear coat is being enhanced, not darkened the way other products do. Don`t knock in theory what works for many people in practice. I notice a substantial difference when applying 3 coats of this Brand X vs just a single coat.

I guess in the end, I`m pretty much doing what you`ve been preaching a lot here on Autopia...and that is to find something I like and use it often.

Mike_Phillips
06-04-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Intermezzo

I guess in the end, I`m pretty much doing what you`ve been preaching a lot here on Autopia...and that is to find something I like and use it often.

Well I really like that advice, that`s why I share it often.

Mike

Newport Viper
06-04-2004, 11:27 PM
I don`t see the need for two coats at all. The bottle doesn`t say to add a second coat? The 25-30 cars I have seen with NXT, looked great after one coat.

( I think people that add more than an extra layer or two, have fallen for other companies hype.:shocked The more product you use, the more you will have to buy.)

My car with ONE coat of NXT!!!!

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/9673img_0862-med.jpg

jfelbab
06-04-2004, 11:46 PM
IMO, I don`t think clear coat adds beauty and gloss to all paint finishes. I much prefer the look of a single stage finish on solid colors, especially darker solid colors. Metallics are a different story.

I believe the main reason the industry clear coats cars is to slow the damage caused by pollution, acid rain, mechanical car washes, etc. Clear coats are harder and more able to hold up to repeated abuses.

Scottwax
06-05-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by 04BlackAV

I usually do 2 layers 24 hrs apart also just to ensure total coverage.I have to admit I love putting this stuff on with a PC.:D

I do the same...if I decide to even add a second coat. I like the fact that it looks great and I am getting decent durability with a single application. I`ve got better things to do than layer waxes or sealants endlessly.

imported_Intermezzo
06-07-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Newport Viper

( I think people that add more than an extra layer or two, have fallen for other companies hype.:shocked The more product you use, the more you will have to buy.)

Not really... It`s more a product of enthusiasts on detailing forums who enjoy waxing their cars frequently. I`ve never read any klasse or Zaino literature emphasizing the need to several layers of product to get a good shine. It`s more a product of detailing enthusiasts who enjoy layering several coats and, in *their* eyes, see an improvement with each coat. :nixweiss

jfelbab, that`s not an apples to apples comparison. I agree that on jet black and flat red, a 1K finish looks very good, but within the 2K paint system, the *source* of the shine still comes from the quality of the clear coat.

Also, clearcoats ARE harder, but they do NOT hold up against water-spot etching, bird $hit etching, etc, better than clear-coated finishes. In terms of mechanical car washes, there is no comparison. In fact, back in the days of single stage finishes, one could use cotton terry cloths and produce no marring at all....but you can`t say the same about today`s clear-coated finishes. MARR-CITY.