PDA

View Full Version : ready to take the PC plunge but....

Pages : [1] 2

imported_jamesp
06-03-2004, 03:38 PM
my head is still spinning from all the threads on this subject. first, here is what i have concluded: i will purchase a PC since i am a rookie at detailing. either a 7424 or 7336. the concensus here seems to like the 5" backing plate, 6" counterweight and 6.5" pads. however, some of you are dissatisfied with the backing plates that come with the PC form places like coastaltools.com. if that is the case, should i just go to Lowes and get the 7336 for $109 and order a backing plate and counterweight from an online vendor? if so, which one? several vendors offer different car care packages, but i would like to get the best quality available. i have two cars one black (bmw) the other silver (mb). both have lots of swirls and scratches. is the red Meguires pad the most aggressive foam pad available? sorry for the long post, but i just need someone to point me in the right direction. thanks

ps. i`ll bug you all about which polishes and waxes later!

jimc
06-03-2004, 03:51 PM
I order my PC (7424) from costal tool. They bundled the 6" counterweight and backing plate with the 7424 at no charge. My PC is relatively new, so I can`t comment on the backing plate longevity.

In regards to pads, use the least aggressive that will get the job done. You can always go to a more aggressive pad if it doesn`t work. My paint is in pretty good shape so I use a 7.5" white pad for polishing

tguil
06-03-2004, 05:27 PM
If you have lot`s of scratches save yourself a bunch of time, go with a Meguiar`s burgandy pad and Meguiar`s DACP. Set the pc at 5 and hang on.

Although I like Meguiar`s pads, especially the burgandy one for tough stuff, I order most of my pc accessories from Classic Motoring Accessories. They have some very good pc kits available. They have quite a variety of pads. I also bought my pc from them.

Sometimes we waste a bunch of time trying to save a buck and it`s not worth it. The folks at CMA are good folks to deal with and they have a very helpful website.

http://www.properautocare.com/

Tom:cool:

Bass
06-03-2004, 07:11 PM
reading your post finally pushed me into ordering a PC

found the best price though from this company

http://www.sportscarcare.com/scc/brand.asp?brandid=23

please note i am not affiliated in any way with this company - i`ve purchased a lot of stuff from them in the past and have found they have some of the best prices and excellent customer service

anyway off to read up on the PCs

Best

Bass

JaCkaL829
06-03-2004, 07:25 PM
jamesp...

I just got my pc kit from coastaltools.com and couldn`t be more happier. I ordered it Saturday afternoon and received it Tuesday night. I`ve heard good things about the backplating from this kit. Its the Porter Cable brand so I would think they know what they are doing. If you wanna avoid this backplate or rather have the 5", why don`t you purchase the PC at Lowes and then order the PC kit from Autopia. The kit from Autopia is the cheapest i`ve seen online, plus your supporting this site.

btw Bass...the kit from coastaltools.com is only 119 which includes the 6" backplate and 6" counterweight, but i`m sure your loyality to the company is worth more then a buck. :o

roadman
06-03-2004, 07:59 PM
Get a Lowes 10% off coupon from their web site and get the 7336 for $109 - 10% (plus tax)

Bass
06-03-2004, 08:01 PM
JohnnyDaJackal,

Thanks didn`t even see coastaltools :) looks like they are the same but mine hasn`t come (just ordered about an hour ago)

how about pad kits for a one month old car??

Bill D
06-03-2004, 08:02 PM
Both my PC and rotary came from Coastal Tool :up

Now if only they had a Cyclo ;)

imported_jamesp
06-03-2004, 10:36 PM
that is just what i needed. there were just SO MANY CHOICES! you guys have narrowed it down to two choices. 1. use the 10% discount at Lowes and order the PC Kit form Autopia (great value). 2. order from Coastaltool and get the 6" backing plate and weight (bonus) in case i ever decide to go with the 7.5" pads.

hey jimc how do you like the 7.5" pads? better than the 6.5"?

hey tguil, i am seriously considering a burgundy pad from Meg. how is the agressiveness? is it much more than the yellow pads?

everyone has given me great advice and ideas. just what the doctor ordered!

thanks guys!

Thomas Dekany
06-03-2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by JohnnyDaJackal

jamesp...

I just got my pc kit from coastaltools.com and couldn`t be more happier. I ordered it Saturday afternoon and received it Tuesday night. I`ve heard good things about the backplating from this kit. Its the Porter Cable brand so I would think they know what they are doing. If you wanna avoid this backplate or rather have the 5", why don`t you purchase the PC at Lowes and then order the PC kit from Autopia. The kit from Autopia is the cheapest i`ve seen online, plus your supporting this site.

btw Bass...the kit from coastaltools.com is only 119 which includes the 6" backplate and 6" counterweight, but i`m sure your loyality to the company is worth more then a buck. :o

Did everything come in one box?

JaCkaL829
06-04-2004, 06:28 AM
tdekany...yes it was all packaged in the same box.

Thomas Dekany
06-04-2004, 07:34 AM
thanks - mine arrived from coastal yesterday as well.

imported_jamesp
06-04-2004, 07:41 AM
you guys who have ordered your PC form Coastal, does the 5 and 6 in. counterweight and the 5 and 6 in backing plates come with the 7424 bonus pack?

Thomas Dekany
06-04-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by jamesp

you guys who have ordered your PC form Coastal, does the 5 and 6 in. counterweight and the 5 and 6 in backing plates come with the 7424 bonus pack?

yes - it comes with the PC.

jimc
06-04-2004, 09:06 AM
I went with the 7.5" because I`m new at using a pc and it provides more protection around the backing plate edge.