PDA

View Full Version : Rubbing down scratches.......

Jasongpx
06-03-2004, 07:29 AM
Hi there,

I`m new on this forum and want to seek your weath of knowledge...

I had my 96 Mitsubishi FTO reprayed this past december, since then there have been a few rubbing down scratches appearing on the front off-side/passenger wing and around the front bumper, I`ve been back to the bodyshop twice to have these machine polished out but alas the results have not been satisfactory, so can anybody offer any advice as to what i can do other than visit another body shop and perhaps starting again!!!!

thanks for your time

Jason

togwt
06-03-2004, 08:16 AM
:welcome to Autopia

Fir light scratches (from your discription they seem to be) Meguire`s ScratchX might help, or try a 3M`s swirl mark remover (39109/ 39009)

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*

Jasongpx
06-03-2004, 08:30 AM
cheers mate, is that stuff any better that the following products that i`ve already used.... sorry should have posted this in my original message and saved on time:

Meguiars Clear Coat Body Scrub

Meguiars stage 1, 2 and 3 [paint cleaner/polisher/carbuna wax]

Autoglym super resin polish

Autoglym extra gloss protection

Mer Polish

Lowejackson
06-03-2004, 01:59 PM
Welcome to Autopia :)

You will need some stronger products than the ones you list.

I guess your choices are

1. Go back a third time to the original bodyshop and complian more or possibley make a claim against them

2. Find another bodyshop and or send the bill to the first

3. Do it yourself. I agree with TOGWT, Meguiars or 3M

Jasongpx
06-04-2004, 02:00 AM
Lowejackson

thanks for the advice mate, I`m due to buy some scratch x next week so i`ll try that and if that fails I`ll give the 3m stuff a try also..

thanks again

on another note how does the meguiars orbital buffer compare against the porter cable polisher.....?

Lowejackson
06-04-2004, 07:22 AM
on another note how does the meguiars orbital buffer compare against the porter cable polisher.....?

If we are talking about the mains powered units, they are the same product. The battery powered unit has been discussed a few times and seems to be most suitable for applying or removing wax.

Jasongpx
06-04-2004, 07:28 AM
the ones i`m thinking of are the Meguiars Cordless Random Orbital Buffer Product code: G104 and the Porter Cable 7424 Polisher, does that help?

do meguiars make a different machine that isn`t on their website then?

Lowejackson
06-04-2004, 12:37 PM
Unfortunately, Meguairs UK do not sell their version of the PC. The cordless version seems to be good at applying and buffing wax but lacks the power to polish.

I think the reason Meguiars dont import the mains powered buffer is the cost of CE certification and the low volume of potential sales.

If you want to polish you can either spend something like £300 for a BO6040 or import a PC from America (with the strengh of the Pound, this is a good time to buy)