PDA

View Full Version : I ordered a Cyclo. Couple of polish questions.

imported_Sullybob
06-03-2004, 06:41 AM
I ordered a Cyclo last night:up

I have a couple of polish questions.

What off the shelf polishes would you recommend for the Cyclo? If I order anything else on line my wife might strangle me;)

I have 3M perfect it III and scratch X. I really don`t want anything with fillers. Would DCAP after the 3M be a good final polish?

After I polish I plan on using AIO/SG.

Any recommendations would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Gonzo
06-03-2004, 07:22 AM
Get used to the strangling concept but there will be and end to it one day. Either you will get used to it or she will give up trying.

The only polishes I know of without fillers would be those in the Menzerna line. Currently I`m in love the with 1Z line, but they do have fillers BUT are so, so easy to use. AIO will strip any fillers during application. Before the AOI you can also strip fillers using a 50/50 mix of Isopropyl alcohol and water. The alcohol is like $3.00 per quart at the neighborhood pharmacy. Using the 50/50 mix above you can strip the fillers to see if your polishing did in fact remove all the imperfections (or at least reduce them to a point you can tolerate) before applying any finishing products.

Remember preparation is EVERYTHING. The best products on a poorly prepared surface will look terrible but lard applied to a well prepared surface will look great.

imported_Sullybob
06-03-2004, 09:20 AM
Thanks Gonzo. My wife isn`t getting tired of strangling me. I`m slowly getting used to it. :)

From what I have read of the 1Z line it looks like a great easy to use polish. I just don`t think that I can get it locally.

Any suggestions for local polishes?

Aurora
06-03-2004, 09:33 AM
I checked PA for the 1z polishes, but no luck. Might wanna give the meguiars pro line a try. DACP seem to be a favorite around here.

imported_Sullybob
06-03-2004, 10:05 AM
Thanks jrocc1212. Meguiars is probably what I will go with due to the easy availability. I checked 1Z also. How nice would it have been to be able to pick up some 1Z products on the way home from work? I could smuggle it into the house and put it with the rest of the supplies. The wife would never be the wiser.:)

Accumulator
06-03-2004, 10:50 AM
Sullybob- The PI-III stuff works well by Cyclo, both with cutting and polishing pads. I use both the RC and MG (05933 and 05937) with the Cyclo all the time.

I dunno if I`d try the DACP as a follow-up since any micro marring from the 3M RC will be pretty mild, and the DACP often needs a follow-up of its own.

imported_Sullybob
06-03-2004, 10:54 AM
Accumulator I thought that I read a post where you said you like to use the PI-III with the Cyclo.

What do you suggest as a follow up?

Do you think that the micro marring will be mild enough that AIO will take care of it? Assuming that it is just micro marring and not a deeper scratch?

I am so excited. It`s like waiting for Christmas.:bounce

Accumulator
06-03-2004, 11:05 AM
Heh heh, guess I`m not being clear enough.

I use the PI-III RC (05933) with cutting and polishing pads. Then I follow up with PI-III Mg (05937) with a polishing pad. If I need an even *finer* finish, I`ll try Menzerna FP with a polishing or even finishing pad. Don`t know what I`d recommend as a locally-available, filler-free alternative to the FP though.

While others say it works, *I* have never removed any marring (micro or not) with AIO.

Bill D
06-03-2004, 11:06 AM
Me neither Accumulator. FP just recently did a nice job for me too. It was my step before AIO, SG

imported_Sullybob
06-03-2004, 11:18 AM
Thanks, that makes sense. Crystal clear.

I`ll print this thread and take it to the auto parts store.

Thanks for you help and super fast replies.

foris2
06-03-2004, 07:39 PM
Way to go on the purchase of your Cyclo Sullybob, you`re gonna love it.