PDA

View Full Version : Need help with this detail job

AdvonspaanDC5
06-03-2004, 06:20 AM
Just want to say this is my first Thread started in Autopia.org. And I love you guys and the whole website. I didn`t know there was so many people who was obsessed about having a clean and protected car like i am. I also consider this one of the most friendliest forums i`ve ever been on. Most everyone is so helpful and there seems to be tons and tons of information. So once again, I love you guys and the knowledge you give to help me keep my cars in 100% excellent shape.

But here`s the question for any experienced autopian - My sister in law`s toyota corolla is really in bad shape and I don`t have a PC. I wish i had a camera so i could take a picture.

Bottom line is that it has never been waxed in it`s life. there`s oxidation in various places. But the scratches and swirls dominates the whole car. I`ve tried claybarring but it only made it smooth but still looks horrid.

Then i tried using color X to clean up the paint a bit. but still looks horrid.

Then i even tried NXT but it didn`t do anything.

Is there any which way I can try to polish it by hand?

Just a quick reply is good cause for now there doesn`t seem to be any hope without a PC. Also sorry for not having any pictures.

Gonzo
06-03-2004, 06:24 AM
Neglected paint can often be brought back if the scratches and what not are not too deep. It won`t be perfect but it will look way better than it was.

The other side of this coin is new car or body shop `cause nothing you can do will salvage the mess.

A PC will help a lot and a rotary would be even better. In between is the cyclo (http://www.topoftheline.com/cyclo-polisher.html). Many here swear by it and it has attachments the other two don`t offer.

maecrispy
06-03-2004, 06:43 AM
Since you don`t have a PC, you could try using a by hand friendly line of polishes like the 1Z line. In order of most to least abrasive:

1ZUP

1ZPP

1ZMP

(note: I`ve also used Meg`s DACP by hand with pretty good success. It`s abrasiveness is somewhere in between 1ZUP and 1ZPP.)

A few things to note. First, make sure to work the polishes in really good. Use an applicator with a bit more bite to it (like a terrycloth applicator.) Work it until the products starts to disappear. Yes, if you`re not used to doing this, this will kill your arms.

Second, make sure you end with 1ZMP to remove any hazing (which is normal) that you might have introduced by using the more agressive products.

Finally, expect that by hand, you may not be able to get every single scratch and swirl out.

AdvonspaanDC5
06-03-2004, 07:26 AM
Thanks Gonzo and maecrispy.

maecrispy - I will try those that you have listed. If i can make this car come to life again, then I can sure bring back a lot of my familys cars that are in the same condition.

BTW, I have to say your TL is too sexy. lol. Everytime I look in your photo album I fall in love over and over again. How`s the ride quality?

Acura is really coming up with the new lineup of cars. The TL IMHO is a way better than a BMW 3 series.

I am considering to buying one in the near future for a daily driver before the RSX becomes fully race prepped to the point of illegalness. That way I can enjoy smooth rides to work, while the RSX just sits fast and low in the garage. And enjoy cruises with the 350z.

havabooz
06-03-2004, 10:21 AM
some valuble info ... plus its prob a great workout

is it easy to tell when you have hazing from a more abrasive polish??

meanwhile...i think the TL is a beautiful car....im only 18 and i think the car caters to all age groups

its fast and very nice looking....people in my area have all types of high end cars and i think the TL is just as nice if not nicer...acura hit the jackpot