PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing anything?

JHargrave
06-01-2004, 08:15 PM
AM I missing anything? I’m going to get some detailing supplies this week and I was wanted to make sure that I have everything so I could save some of that precious gas. Here’ is a list of things I will get:

- Meguirs Quik Clay kit

- Extra Clay bar – not sure what brand???

- Car wash Soap – not sure what brand???

- Medium to little abrasive polish – not sure what brand???

- Synthetic wax – not sure what brand (I do have some liquid turtle wax though)

- Microfiber towels – not sure what brand (although I don’t think it matters)

- Polish applicator (2) – probably some sort of foam sponge

- High gloss polish – not sure what brand???

- Miscellaneous brushes – not sure what kinds though???

- Wax applicator – foam???

- Meguirs deep crystal paint cleaner

- rubber dressing/protectant/cleaner – not sure of brand???

I need some advice on preferred brands and brands to stay away from I just would like to save as much money as I can.

I also wanted to make sure the process order is correct:

- Wash car

- Clay car

- Rewash car

- Polish car

- Buff off polish / rewash???

- prewax with deep crystal paint cleaner

- Wax

- buff off

Also how exactly does one “buff off†the excess wax / polish? Also keep in mind I would like to keep the purchase amount down to a minimum, my target price is around $50 and under $75.

Thanks,

John

JHargrave
06-01-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by BlackRegal

I would suggest you research your products a little more thoroughly before running out and spending a bunch of money on stuff. You don`t seem to know what brand of anything you want, what may or may not work together well, and if you think you can get everything on your list for < $75 your either a much better bargain hunter than me or dreaming. Some of your item are redundant, and others are missing altogether (wash mitts, glass cleaner, upholstery shampoo, wheel cleaner, etc...)

Well i dont know much about the brands and compatibility there of, and thats what i need help with.

If you want keep your costs down and still get quality products you`re going to need to refine your product list.

Yeah i know, but i dont know what i need and dont need, and thats where you guys come in.

What do you hope to accomplish?

I hope just what any other detailer hopes to accomplish, an clean car.

Is all this for a particular car?

Yes, the only car i can afford at this time, a Ford Contour (if you dont know this car it is similar to a Taurus). Now i dont want to sound cheap, but an education is very expensive.

Are there any particular defects/blemishes you hope to address?

No, there are several deep, rather large, scratches in the front bumper, but there is probably no easy affordable way to fix them, plus they are not easily noticed

Do you want to get all your products locally, or are you willing to order on-line and pay shipping?

I prefer locally, but one or two products online are okay if they cant be got near me.

If local, do you have access to a bodyshop supply house in the area?

Um, well i have access to a body shop, but not a body shop supply house, although im sure there is one around here somewhere.

In short, going out and buying a boat-load of cheap products isn`t going to get you the results you desire. Let us know what you hope to acheive, and we can help you make some choices that will move you towards that goal with your budget as a consideration.

I just hope to acheive a nice looking car, plus it gives me something to do.

Thanks,

John

JHargrave
06-01-2004, 09:42 PM
I forgot to mention that i have "hardshell turtle wax (liquid form)" and some compound polishes. But I need a new polish because i want a less fine grit, plus they are close to ten years or more old.

JHargrave
06-02-2004, 07:55 PM
Thanks that was really helpful. Sometime this week i`ll start ordering/getting the products.

Are al of those products you mentioned above compatible with each other?

Thanks