PDA

View Full Version : leather

gav'spurplez
06-01-2004, 12:48 PM
hey guys, was reading some leather care tips and applications and found out that some cars have a veneer vinyl top layer. anyone know what a camaro has ?? i might be mistreating the leather. also, anyone use a brush ?? or know where i can pick a brush up that is soft enough for leather ?? any one just use the wipes ?? i read about closing up the perferated holes in the leather with liquids ?? i am kinda lost :(

Matt M, PA
06-01-2004, 12:51 PM
Most modern cars have a finished leather, which basically means it`s "painted" with dye...not vat dyed. I`d bet your Camaro has this type of leather.

Anyhow, I have had very good luck with Zaino`s Leather cleaner and Leather in a Bottle. Avoid saddle soaps, and anything that contains petroleum or silicones. Lots of guys like Lexol, too.

gav'spurplez
06-01-2004, 12:57 PM
products say that they have silicones or petroleums ?? i`ll have to keep my eyes out for them. right now i use meguiars leather cleaner/conditioner. i guess it comes out ok, the rag is dirty but is that the dye ?? i do not see any fading or discoloring of the leather after i use it, might be dirt ??

togwt
06-01-2004, 01:04 PM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Leather Cleaning- use a soft brush (Groit’s Horse Hair Leather & Interior Brush PN15515) or a vacuum to remove any dust

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*

PFDarkside
06-01-2004, 04:43 PM
I used Lexol on my 01 T/A`s seats for the first time this year. I really like the way it cleans... I don`t know if I trust those cleaner/conditioners all-in-one types. I too used the Meguiars, but I hated the way it got in the holes of the perforated leather, so I don`t think I ever really gave it a good cleaning.

I used two applicators, and two clean rags. The cleaner applicator/rag was darkened when I finished, but the conditioner one was perfectly clean. I`m guessing they were dirty and the cleaner pulled all the dirt out. (They completely washed out, so I doubt it was dye)

Anyway, it worked well for me on our seats, but YMMV.

Bill D
06-01-2004, 05:19 PM
Lexol`s been in my stash for years, now waiting for a real hot summer day to try some Leatherique

gav'spurplez
06-01-2004, 05:27 PM
like i said, my rag came out dirty and did not wash out. but the seats were not faded or discolored. looks like i will be taking a ride to murrays or target tonight :rolleyes:

B4Zâ„¢
06-01-2004, 09:57 PM
i use lexol cleaner with a soft brush and Z10 for a conditioner on my camaro seats.

gav'spurplez
06-01-2004, 09:58 PM
well picked up some woolite and a soft brush. also bought megs leather foam. i use their dash and trim foam and am very happy with the results. we`ll see what happens :xyxthumbs

gav'spurplez
06-03-2004, 06:28 PM
used woolite. seemed to work well, when i wiped the seats when they were wet with a soft cloth the cloth was dirty. the megs leather foam, eh :rolleyes:

smelled like the wipes and left the seats slippery and greasy-like. back to the drawing board with the conditioner :(

Bill D
06-03-2004, 06:37 PM
I`m kinda old fashioned but I`ve been sticking with Lexol for years for leather conditioning. Here`s a product new to me worth investigating, if you read up on it on its website, they don`t like Lexol much

http://forums.roadfly.org/forums/detailing/5200348-1.html

imported_Blake
06-03-2004, 07:43 PM
I`ve used a couple of others but keep going back to Lexol. I`ve had friends remark that after seeing what Lexol was like they would be switching to it. Seems to do a real decent job without much fuss. I have a friend that likes it for his saddles.

gav'spurplez
06-04-2004, 01:00 PM
went to murrays today and picked up some blue magic leather conditioner. came home and gave my seats the "woolite" treatment. this stuff sprays onto a cloth and then you wipe the seats. when i first was wiping i was like damn this stuff is shiney and greasy, just another crap product. you let it sit for 30 minutes and then you lightly wipe the surface for excess. well i did the seats washed the car then went back. to my surprise the seats were smooth yet tacky to hold you in. they had absorbed all of the product and look and feel great. i am very happy with this product and gets a :xyxthumbs in my book