PDA

View Full Version : New Car - Keeping It Looking Good

T1000
06-01-2004, 09:52 AM
Get new car next week so am going to try and keep it looking good. As paint work is new I propose the following:

Step 1:

AIO (applied by hand) to remove any dealer applied waxes etc

Step 2:

SG x 2 coats (applied by hand Bill North method) 24 hours between coats

Step 3:

PS21

Apply a further coat of PS21 every month for 6 months then inspect the paint work and if no swirl marks etc are visible then just repeat steps 1, 2, 3.

If swirl marks are visible then use Z1 polish first to remove them and then do steps 1,2,3

Is this an OK process ?

If I need to use Z1 after 6 months will it work by hand or do I need machine application for best results ??

If Z1 is not needed after 6 months and I start again with AIO will it be best by hand or machine application ??

Accumulator
06-01-2004, 10:59 AM
T1000- Welcome to Autopia.

Originally posted by T1000

Get new car next week so am going to try and keep it looking good. As paint work is new I propose the following...If I need to use Z1 after 6 months will it work by hand or do I need machine application for best results..If Z1 is not needed after 6 months and I start again with AIO will it be best by hand or machine application ?? [/B]

Sorry, you lost me with the Z1...you mean Z1 as in Zaino? Or is it a typo as in "1Z"? Other good choices include 3M`s PI-III Mg (pn 05937), which also works OK by hand.

You use a polish (something with abrasives) when you need to remove marring. You`ll probably need to do this if the dealer washed/waxed/otherwise molested the new car. I usually take them in the plastic and do everything myself.

AIO works fine by hand, better by PC (as do many polishes).

After you`ve topped SG with P21S, you should use the AIO again when you want to "start over".

I`d clay any new car (or better yet, use something like "ABC" or the stuff from FinishKare) to prevent "rust blooms" from rail dust.

T1000
06-01-2004, 11:05 AM
Yes typo I meant 1Z