PDA

View Full Version : Dealership Detailers

SVR
06-01-2004, 02:34 AM
Today my father and I ventured to a South Aussie Subaru Dealership to pick up his new WRC blue WRX STI. The cars in the showroom were well detailed with quite smooth paintwork but the cars on the lot outside were not so great. Most had wheel wells and plastics brown and looked like they had never been detailed and paint smootness was average at best.

I took a walk over to the service area where I found the detail bay. This guy was washing a white forester 4WD and did not pay any attention to the sign in the bay - PLEASE CONSERVE WATER

He also had the pressure sprayer in one spot for a long time, not a good idea and when finished was using a chamois. Although looking clean from where I stood, It didn`t do a very good job. The customer picked up the car a few minutes later. The detailer forgot to remove the chamois from the roof when he finished and had blackened the tyres but didn`t drive it back a fraction to wipe over the spot you can`t get to.

The mud flaps were not done and water was still dripping from the body. ???

Sure not a cardinal sin compared to the horror stories we read about here but why do these dealers pay these guys who have no passion and dedication.

DBC
06-01-2004, 03:53 AM
wanna buy me a WRC Sti also?:p

37buckeye
06-01-2004, 06:34 AM
Well, the best detailers earn better pay and may take slightly longer to complete a car than compared to your average dealership detailer.

In general, if I were to buy a car today, I would skip the dealer detail and bring it to a local Autopian.