PDA

View Full Version : Did i make a mistake my choosing the 1z polishes?

dpreuss
05-31-2004, 11:07 PM
Hey everyone. I am almost ready to do my first detail using my PC 7336 on my Grand Prix as soon as my pads arrive. I was just reading, however, than all of the 1Z polishes contain waxes, and would cause the Klasse twins not to bond properly, which I was planning on using. Is this true? Also, I am planning on applying 1ZPP to the whole vehicle with cutting pad, what speed should I run the PC on, and would I need to follow up with 1ZMPP? Also, I have heard a good thing to do is clean up the remaining buffing residue with a QD, such as what comes with the magic clay kit, and then follow up with spraying a 50/50 mix of alcohal and water, to remove the fillers and see if you should continue buffing, is this a good procedure? Sorry for all the questions:o . Thanks.

ZaneO
05-31-2004, 11:14 PM
If you are using AIO, it should remove the fillers and wax. After using the cutting pad and PP, you should follow with a polishing pad and MPP.

Bill D
06-01-2004, 08:40 AM
I use Klasse and 1z all the time. I wipe with alcohol after each use of the polishes before using AIO just to be certain the Klasse will bond

imported_Unreal
06-01-2004, 08:58 AM
I think you made a wise decision on the 1Z line. They are very easy to use and work very well.

Either wipe with alcohol or AIO and you will be fine.

MarcBickham
06-01-2004, 09:08 AM
Mike from 1Z suggests that we don`t need to follow PP with MP. Is anyone following this process with good results?

PP

AIO

SG

Thanks

Jesstzn
06-01-2004, 09:29 AM
The 50/50 A/W is more to remove oils and fillers so you can see the results of your work and if you need to buff more .. The AIO will remove oils/fillers that might be left leaving the surface prepped for SG.

ncal
06-01-2004, 09:50 AM
I think that whether you decide to follow PP with MP depends on what pads you used and what your personal preference. I`ve used PP and it certainly doesn`t leave the paint like after DACP or UPP but that final polish will probably give your vehicle a little more shine.

Accumulator
06-01-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by ncal

I think that whether you decide to follow PP with MP depends on what pads you used and what your personal preference...

I agree. I always *think* I see a good improvement when I follow my PP with MP. Experimenting on single stage made it seem even more noticeable than it is on b/c. A lot of it will probably depend on your paint. And consider than 1Z sells PP as a "general use" polish- which it can be for *many* people. So 1Z can`t be expected to say that you *must* follow up with another product (that would be bad marketing) just because a few nutty perfectionists want that last 1% ;) They even say you can go to wax after Ultra/Extra, but in my experience, that`ll only work if you`re using a rotary, and even then, I still think it needs more work with milder products. "Average people" probably wouldn`t consider these extra steps necessary at all, but we`re not exactly "average". Heh heh, as it is with many Autopians, my "before" is often better than most people`s "after".

I have found that if you use PP with a cutting pad, you need to follow up with at least PP/polishing. In fact, I *always* use something on a polishing pad after using a cutting pad.

I start my 1Z polishes at 4 and speed up to 6. Without the heat of a rotary, I don`t find the 1Z abrasives break down too fast if you work them at higher speeds, and they *do* take a while to work by PC (take your time).

No need to use a clay lube to clean up 1z "residue", the polishes only leave a nicely waxed finish. If you run short on time, you can just quit after using the 1Z stuff, the vehicle will look great and be protected for quite a while.

As far as putting Klasse over the 1z polishes, I think it`ll depend on how aggressively you do the AIO. I`d probably use the alochol spritzer, myself, if I didn`t have Menzerna FP around. As per Gonzo`s suggestion, that`s what *I* use to remove a 1Z polish`s wax when I need to.

Though to be honest, I usually use 3M polishes when I`m gonna use Klasse (much as I like the 1Z line).

dpreuss
06-01-2004, 11:25 AM
Thanks for your help, I think I will use the PP with the cutting pad, followed up with the MPP on the polishing pad. Hopefully I will get the results I want with this. Thanks again!